Monitor

Mustachio

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jul 30, 2008
Messages
589
I may be looking for a new monitor just because. My 20" is too small, and my 42" tv is too big to use every day as a monitor. If I can get my brother to pay I may go for one. Looking at least 24" but maybe bigger, dont wanna spend too too much money.

Was looking at [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Touch-T260HD-26-inch-Monitor/dp/B001AYCNIW[/ame]

If anyone has used this monitor, or any from that samsung series, I would be interested to know opinions, such as how it looks and how it is for gaming, the only two or three things I do on my computer of any real importance to the monitor is gaming, photo editing, and video watching.

Any other suggestions or input would be helpful.
 
Samsung 245BW :) 24" of pure win.

I really discourage people getting anything between a 24" or 30". Everything between those two is just a 1920x1200 res stretched out, and looks terrible imho. It's fine for a TV, but not a monitor.

My advice: Get a nice 24", or save up for a 30" Dell (which is what I'm doing).

~Gooda~
 
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/W2408H-24-inch-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/dp/B0013AHADQ/[/ame]

Is the monitor I have....

Great monitor... best feature besides the fact it actually works is the light sensor....

The LED Backlighting dims or brightens depending on how dark or light your room is.... So, it doesn't kill your eyes as much. :D Love it, swear by it.
 
Samsung 245BW :) 24" of pure win.

I really discourage people getting anything between a 24" or 30". Everything between those two is just a 1920x1200 res stretched out, and looks terrible imho. It's fine for a TV, but not a monitor.

My advice: Get a nice 24", or save up for a 30" Dell (which is what I'm doing).

~Gooda~

Have you actually used anything inbetween 24 and 30? the dot pitch (pixel size) of a 26 vs a 24 really is not all that much different. In addition, the only reason I wanted to go larger, is because I dont feel that going to 24" would be enough of an upgrade to warrant getting rid of my current monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009105 which, besides a few small flaws is a great monitor.

In addition, the 30" monitors are just too expensive, not to mention the fact that it probably wouldnt fit on my desk, and i would have to run all games lower than native resolution.
 
Have you actually used anything inbetween 24 and 30? the dot pitch (pixel size) of a 26 vs a 24 really is not all that much different. In addition, the only reason I wanted to go larger, is because I dont feel that going to 24" would be enough of an upgrade to warrant getting rid of my current monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009105 which, besides a few small flaws is a great monitor.

In addition, the 30" monitors are just too expensive, not to mention the fact that it probably wouldnt fit on my desk, and i would have to run all games lower than native resolution.

You can and will notice a huge size difference between a 24" and 20"... Remember they're measured diagonally... X... So that's 2 inches on either corner.

Like you I just recently upgraded from a 20 to a 24.... All I can say it... DAMN never knew what I was missing. But I'm not getting anything bigger for a while... Alot of screen space to look at as it is with this one. :3
 
Well, I went from a 4 year old 17" to a brand new 24", the change was huge (obviously)

I've heard of people going from 22" to 24" and being amazed at the amount of real estate they gained (pixel wise). I can't comment on that though.

Man, I think I'll have JUST enough space on my desk for that 30". Gonna be cutting it reeeaaaallll close though.

~Gooda~
 
Well, I went from a 4 year old 17" to a brand new 24", the change was huge (obviously)

I've heard of people going from 22" to 24" and being amazed at the amount of real estate they gained (pixel wise). I can't comment on that though.


~Gooda~

i did the same thing but i got a 22 inch and was like WOW this is what i got http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=10&l2=89&l3=550&l4=0&model=1707&modelmenu=1 is you wanna get a nice 24 inch i recommend this monster http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=10&l2=151&l3=638&l4=0&model=2063&modelmenu=1 i LOVE my PG221 if i get another 22" it would be for duel monitors :D
 
I honestly think 20 inch is big enough.
I'm rocking 22 right now but only did that because it was actually cheaper than the 20 inch at the time (promotion).

I've seen and played on a 24 and 26 inch. I personally thought they looked horrendous and everything was just...... way too widely scaled (even though I tried scaling it with different options).

In the end it just ended up hurting my eyes so I think 22 is the sweet spot for fps. I know adding 2 to 4 inches to 22 doesn't sound like a lot, but in all reality, it does, especially if you are a fps player.

For 30 inch monitors, I would obviously hang that up against a wall and play from the comfort of my couch or something. But for that, I'd rather go larger such as 46 inch+. I think 30 inch is kind of a waste. You can't really sit up too close, but you can't sit way too far back either.
 
Not-Z, well my brother basically said he would pay for it. I originally chose the 20" I have now because of the panel, and im happy with it.

You say everything was too widely scaled? were they not running at native resolution?

I find anything larger like 30" or even my 42" tv are just too big (not to mention, expensive to buy a new one). The problem with the large ones, like the 42" is the distance needed to sit away from it. The sweet spot for a 42" would probably be 5-6 feet. At 5-6 feet, at least with my vision, it becomes difficult trying to read text easily and work with the monitor easily for anything other than gaming. In addition, trying to get a good desk setup at 5-6 feet is just not easy, and frankly not the most comfortable. Any farther, and you run into the same problem in that you just wont be able to read anything or use it effectively as a monitor, and any closer, and you will see the individual pixels and it will just look like junk. And trust me, trying to game with a keyboard and mouse while sitting back on a couch and reclining just ends up being uncomfortable, otherwise, i would be using my tv still.

So yea, still trying to figure out what to do, 26" seems like it would be huge and still not too big to use as a monitor, whether my graphics card can handle gaming at 1920x1200, i think it can, for some games at least.... but again, i just dont know.
 
The native res for 24" in 1920x1200, if you were using a 24" and it looked stretched, then the person who configured the monitor didn't set the res right.

24" would be perfect imho.

~Gooda~
 
I played around with it for quiet a bit. First time, it wasn't scaled at all so it looked like 800 x 600. It was bigger but you know that feeling when you are setting up the drivers for your video card.

Maybe it's just my way of observing things but anything bigger than 22, to me seems out of a scale, unless playing on a huge screen TV and being like 15 ft away. I've tried playing DoD, Crysis, CoH, WoW. It just didn't look right. We also hooked it up to a PS3. For me, it was the same results. We played with all the available options and cables and bleh, it just made my eyes hurt.

My recommendation is always 22 for computer games.
And Samsung is a great brand to go with for any screen related products.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top