Buffer Overflow in TF2

Clarko

Forum Fiend
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
737
I want to play in the events for TF2 but I don't want to because I keep getting a "Buffer Overflow" error when all talk is enabled and everyone is talking all at once. I shutdown every program and process still didnt help. Does anyone know how to get around this?
 
My best guestimate is your sound card/system has drivers which are having problems separating and differentiating between the multiple incoming audio streams during the game and all talk. The best way to check would be to play in a game with all talk enabled and to write down the specific error - the buffer overflow - to get a better idea of what process crashed on your PC.

Have you checked your sound drivers and made sure they're updated? If you're using integrated audio, checked to see your motherboard BIOS has been updated?

What is your motherboard and, if applicable, your sound card?
 
I have a ASUS p5n-d mobo but my sound is coming from my Creative Labs Fatality x-fi sound card. It has up to date drivers. It has on board ram so it should be able to separate the audio streams.
 
What kind of internet are you on, what is your netcard (or speed if onboard)? It could just be that too much data is trying to come over the lines.
Or it could even be your provider.
Or even your modem or router.
There's a lot of places where this problem could be originating. Or even multiple places working together.
 
it is DSL. I use onboard and have no problem with any other games than tf2 when all talk is on.
My router is configed correctly. i am just going to have to stop going to events. I even turned off voice in game but after a while it comes back on its own.which sucks.
 
A quick search on some of my favorite techie sites show there are some issues with the Asus P5N -D and sound although I didn't see anything specific to the Creative X-Fi.

With regards to your RAM point, I don't think you're running into a memory problem. I think you're running into a IRQ (read: interrupt) or process access related problem.

What is the driver version of the Creative card? And what BIOS level is on the motherboard?

Since you're using off-board sound, have you disabled the integrated audio in the BIOS options? Or, just for fun, enable integrated audio and pull your Creative card out of the PC? Many people, including myself (admitted bias), don't even use sound cards now because the on-board works so well....
 
I have 4 gigs of corsair xm2 ram in dual channel mode. I do not use onboard cause I do not want to use the processor for audio work load. plus i have had the card for a while so it was either store it or use it. The bios should be the latest. I updated it when I got the board. the drivers are the latest. I remember reading at first vista was having issues with the drivers for the sound card but that was last year or so. i have never had any problems with the audio.

Since it only affects TF2 during events where all talk is on I will just not playing during those times. I do not want it to ruin my whole experience so i still play tf2 just fine. Just cannot if the whole world is talking at the same time during a game. Oh well. Thanks for the help everyone.
 
same and it is not even lagging
and its only in events
 
It sounds like you've resigned yourself to not participating in events with all-talk.

That's fine, but unfortunate. I still suggest/recommend pulling the audio card out of the PC and running just on-board audio for problem isolation. If you don't have overflow issues with the card gone (and driver disabled) then you know the problem isn't with Vista or your motherboard, right?

On the other hand, if you still have problems, then you can feel better about the card and begin to suspect some type of Vista and/or other driver issue.

I assume (danger!) this (all talk) has never worked for you. If true, then the next thing to troubleshoot, after pulling your sound card out and checking/using on-board audio, would be to ensure audio has been disabled on your motherboard.

I'd also be curious, to also doublecheck, that only one audio source exists within Device Manager. You'd only want the Creative X-Fi to be listed and not any other audio drivers/devices.

Minimally, I'd check Device manager and your BIOS. Easy things to check and ensure. I'd still recommend pulling the card, but I realize that's more of a pain to do. Good luck!
 
Buffer Overflow happens when you or another person on the server is sending too many commands to the server.

If it only crashes you then it's on your end. Try removing any skins, models, or scripts you have. Reset your default keybindings. Or just plain type in voice_enable 0 if it's only voice that crashes you.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top