Localized tech support?

mrcool

EGO Addict
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
1,283
(My last post was such a smashing hit I thought I'd have another go at it...)

Has anyone considered, thought about, or tried setting up localized tech support for the clan? Over-the-internet tech help obviously can't help with everything. Often times someone needs a spare part just to try to determine what the actual problem is - internet, monitor, video card, etc. Even if you don't have a "spare part," per say, I wouldn't mind pulling a video card or RAM to let someone test it in their PC.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. What think ye?
 
I dont know how well that would go over. Although I do like the idea of having a technical team. Some "hands on" types (like myself) who are IT professionals that can offer remote support through something the likes of SecureVNC or something of similar species.
 
Not a half bad idea if I do say so myself... at least something to congregate information and potential solutions easier than a message board...
 
While an organized VNC solution would also be a good idea, it wouldn't help much if a guy's PC isn't turning on and he's not sure if it's the mobo, video card, monitor, power supply, RAM...
 
That is true, however if it is turning on, there are a variety of useful bits of information that could be collected about the problem... many of the hardware issues are near impossible to sort out without spare parts, however software issue support would be handy, especially since most of the posts for tech help deal with software related issues, and not with epic hardware fails...
 
Well ultimately hardware is hardware. You would use the same troubleshooting principals regardless of the problem to determine the faulty piece of hardware. What I am proposing is something a little more intuitive for the less-knowledgable members of our community to receive hands-on assistance using something that is easy for us to use over the web, but also secure enough to give the end-user the control they should have to terminate a session if they feel the person on the other end is doing something they shouldnt be doing. I think if it were to be organized correctly, meaning the leadership of eGO put together a team of individuals that have proven to be trustworthy it could be coupled with secure software and we could ultimately have a very well structured help desk system.
 
Yep. Well leadership is taking the month off, so I guess this was bad timing on my part. I guess we should try again later.
 
I think it's a neat idea... but I have mixed feelings. I think there's several issues which would need to be addressed. (Long post ahead!)

If eGO had some type of formalized (as in I'm an "eGO tech support person" - even if volunteer) that opens up several questions of potential liability: to eGO, to the tech volunteer, and even to the person who needs help. (ala what if the person driving over to help someone gets hurt while at someone else's house?)

eGO, right now, is protected by a general legal idea known as "Safe Harbor". Oversimplifying, it's not liable for the postings or general activities of members who register on its website. So, if I offer help to someone (in rockin Minnesota!), I do so of my own free will and the other person accepts, of their own free will. We each willingly accept the potential risks involved in helping the other.

But we do so without any official "sanction" from eGO.

But if there are designated "eGO tech volunteers" who travel to people's house, remote console into people's machines, etc - all under an "eGO tech" banner. An argument could be made that eGO should lose its Safe Harbor protection (in this area) because people are acting under it's authority (so to speak).

And this is the worse case scenario. What about just simple things? What if someone "Joe" goes over to "Jack's" house to help pull some RAM and instead static charges the CPU. Jack's Dad now wants someone to cough up the dough for a new PC. Who pays?

Don't even get me started on underage volunteers or helping people who are underage.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer here. Comes from dealing with IT contract issues all the time.
 
Hmmm. Good points. Hadn't really thought about all that. I guess it "could work" if we just assumed/hoped that everyone would be honest and not sue or stuff like that, but we can't really assume that now can we. Oh well...
 
As I see it we have two options here if we wanted to have a tech-support team.

1.) We can use Windows Remote Assistance using Windows Messenger (XP and up)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Assistance

2.) We can use the tool provided by UltraVNC called PcHelpWare.
http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/index.html

3.) We could use UltraVNC SingleClick
http://www.uvnc.com/addons/singleclick.html

The good thing about using PcHelpWare and SingleClick is that we can build in a disclaimer.

The good thing about about Windows Remote Assistance is that there is a big button a user can push to stop the connection for any reason. Also built in are some diagnostic software and a text chat, file transferring, and logging of the chat.
 
I'm still shaky on the idea.

But, personally speaking, I'd certainly volunteer. Ultimately, I assume Council would want to see some type of proposal and review it. I'd be willing to work with whomever in helping develop this further.
 
I'm still shaky on the idea.

But, personally speaking, I'd certainly volunteer. Ultimately, I assume Council would want to see some type of proposal and review it. I'd be willing to work with whomever in helping develop this further.

I as well would love to help out in any way possible, if Council would approve the idea.
 
A thought: couldn't we provide hardware but have the person install it to test it? Like, "Here's a video card. Pop it in, we'll see if that helps." I would think that would help limit liability. Installing/swapping hardware in/out isn't really brain surgery.
 
A thought: couldn't we provide hardware but have the person install it to test it? Like, "Here's a video card. Pop it in, we'll see if that helps." I would think that would help limit liability. Installing/swapping hardware in/out isn't really brain surgery.

Until you have to prove that it wasn't working before you got it and wasn't your fault because of static electricity, dropping, etc....

Basically as soon as someone gives you their electrics you are liable for anything that goes wrong, and prove it wasn't your fault. I did a little work for the Geek Squad and I have seen some really nasty legal battles.
 
Last edited:
There would be a lot of details to iron out to best protect eGO. I personally would recommend the structure of a new non-eGO named party that offers their services to eGO with the appropriate disclaimers requiring someone 18yrs or older agree. Should a minor agree to the terms, they would be in breach of contract, and this named entity would not be able to be held liable.
 
Well, if any members in the NE or East Texas area need my assistance, I'm up to it. Feel free to give me a text or ring at (903) 491-6000

I have an array of misc parts that I use for testing, even a wireless router.
 
Ok, well maybe we can bring this up with the leadership once the holidays are over. Thanks for the input, guys!
 
I am willing to help also. I have done remote work before through Geek Squad for a few years now and I understand a lot of the legal issues that come up because of working for the largest corporation that offers repair services. What keeps them protected is a team of lawyers and disclaimers something eGO doesn't have and will have to worry about.
 
Im always willing to help also. I am a Systems Engineer by profession. CCNP, MCSE (not by choice on the MCSE... I hate MCSE's.) I've been in the industry for 8 years working with everything from workgroup networking to large corporate virtualized banking systems with a dabble of AS400 and IP Surveillance. I specialize in Wireless technologies.

Anyone with a question can always hit me up by MSN, AIM, PM, or simply using the Tech Help forums here. I am also available as an expert on the Experts Exchange website.
 
Im always willing to help also. I am a Systems Engineer by profession. CCNP, MCSE (not by choice on the MCSE... I hate MCSE's.) I've been in the industry for 8 years working with everything from workgroup networking to large corporate virtualized banking systems with a dabble of AS400 and IP Surveillance. I specialize in Wireless technologies.

The AS400 Hell yeah man. Greatest machine ever built.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top