Two things:
1. Is discussion of *torrents* not permitted on eGO? I'm still new to eGO so I am not in any position to stake anything about policy. But I would think (note: read previous disclaimer) that discussion of torrents as a technology would and should be permitted.
Now discussion of using torrents (or any other tech: web, Gopher, FTP, telnet, IRC, SMTP, MIME, etc) to illegally obtain or reach unauthorized information, products, or resources could and should be prohibited...
For example, Ubuntu uses torrents as one method (of many) to distribute software.
Of course, then there's the question (legal? philosophical?) of whether torrent tracking sites, ala BP or Mini, are havens of ill-gotten goods or just an indexer ala Google....
That said, torrents can be and often are dangerous. It's very much a downloader beware type thing.
2. More on point: Slusser, what happens when you to try to reach a site? If your PC became infected, I'm going to guess you took some steps to clean it up.
A further guess, since you can't reach those sites anymore (I assume via a web browser that works otherwise) is that those domains were placed into a loopback index.
Some security programs consider those sites dangerous and will redirect any attempt to connect them back to your PC and thus fail in the attempt to connect. Does connecting to other sites work?