Problems connecting to Xbox Live

Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
238
Hi. My current setup is this:

Cable Modem --> Cable Router --> Xbox

However, when I perform a connection test I am told that the DNS server couldn't resolve the names of the Xbox Live servers; I have tried rebooting everything, I have tried forwarding the appropriate ports, and yet still no luck. Can anyone help? My service provider is Virgin Media, if it is important.
 
Hmm.. I checked on Virgin Media's web site and it says they support XboxLive.... the only thing I can think of is it all the right ports open on your router (that usually the main problem)
 
The following ports must be available to your Xbox 360 console for Xbox LIVE to operate correctly:

* TCP 80
* UDP 88
* UDP 3074
* TCP 3074
* UDP 53
* TCP 53

Make sure you have all those open
 
Ooh, now that's interesting - before when I was checking up about port forwarding it only said that 88 and 3074 had to be open. I'll try that and tell you how it works...
 
Alright, that's usually the problem. If not, do you have enough bandwidth?
 
Bandwidth should not be a problem with connecting to Live. I've tethered and xbox to my laptop with a crossover cable and bridged the connection thus connecting it to a sub dialup connection and connected just fine. there's no way you'd be able to play a game at those speeds but you should be able to connect
 
It could be an issue though... Did checking the ports help?
 
I know this ia *bare* old but I recently tried to get it working again and even with those ports opened I still get the message about the DNS server.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top