is this overheating?

Crawlerz

Poster
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
174
hey fellow eGOs! how are yoU? hope the new year finds u well.

i have a tech problem. i have this stock dell 410xps with 2.6GHz core 2 duo, 2GB RAM, nVidia 8800GTX video, running vista (before i had xp but reinstalled - wanted to get with the times since SP1 is already out...) i play games on this modest rig and some are really graphics' oriented. i have never asked vista to calculate my performance score. (actually once i did and after had oodles of problems because it turned the aero on). some time ago i wanted to turn aero on again but just it, without the vista score calculator. i did. transparency ran ok. BUT by the end of the day i started getting the "video driver stopped responding and has recovered" error every second. especially while playing pacific fighters. i turned off transparency and still had the error sometimes. i turned aero off altogether - no more probs. what does it all mean? is overheating a factor? the back of the tower faces the wall and gets pretty hot. and, yes, i know aero is a "female dog" on resourses. - from the very beginning i remember this error being often (factory installed vista with performance score)... later i installed xp (some of my games/progs weren't running) and had no probs of any kind. - 4 months ago i installed vista and i cannot touch the performance score as it will kill my pc with unreasonable crap!
 
I think the Power supply may be your culprit. I would never recommend running an 8800 GTX on a 375-watt PSU. That just doesn't sound like it's enough to run your entire system. I would recommend nothing less than a decent brand 500-watt PSU with at least 40 amps to run that GPU on any system.

How long have you had that video card installed and running on your current system?
 
I think the Power supply may be your culprit. I would never recommend running an 8800 GTX on a 375-watt PSU. That just doesn't sound like it's enough to run your entire system. I would recommend nothing less than a decent brand 500-watt PSU with at least 40 amps to run that GPU on any system.

How long have you had that video card installed and running on your current system?

i had this card stock with my pc from the very beginning when i bought it over 2 years ago.maybe ur right. i build my dream alienware online they always suggest a huge power supply.
 
Yeah power supply seems the issue. Get some great deals from newegg. $30-$40 for a decent 500watt plus shipping.
 
Yeah power supply seems the issue. Get some great deals from newegg. $30-$40 for a decent 500watt plus shipping.

u know the thing is ... without aero i work fine - no errors. and i think in the future ill buy a pc (give this one to my dad maybe he'll use it) and take care of all that. i want several items to be taken care of: cooling, sound dampening (the cd/dvds and the fans are very loud), power supply, vista compatible network card, and maybe an even better video, etc.
 
u know the thing is ... without aero i work fine - no errors. and i think in the future ill buy a pc (give this one to my dad maybe he'll use it) and take care of all that. i want several items to be taken care of: cooling, sound dampening (the cd/dvds and the fans are very loud), power supply, vista compatible network card, and maybe an even better video, etc.

Sounds like you're going through what I went through about 4 years ago. My computer that I had before my current one was a Dell dimension 8300. It was my "dream" machine in just about every aspect... except for the Power Supply. It came with a measly 250-watt PSU. I upgraded that sucker twice before I finally turned the system off for good.

Because of this, I will never buy a dell desktop again. Their laptops are wonderful, but their desktops are not designed with hardcore gamers in mind. Their power supplies are a direct example of this. Whenever I want a desktop now, I build my own. I can customize my computer the way I want it down to the speed it runs, and it is much more satisfying than a Dell could ever be.

BTW, I don't know if Dell still uses proprietary PSU's or not, but if they do, you may have to mod your case to get a standard ATX one to fit.
 
Last edited:
u know i never gave a though to power supplies before. i mean a bought stock pc's and never really gave any thought to it. just chose the components. (most were dell - here was no powah supply choice.) alienware (my dream pc) actually points out - with this video card u have to buy the 500watt powah supply. -- i guess.
 
sometimes it shows up as (pacific fighters crash) openGL encountered an error and must close this app. error 14.

should i buy a new powah supply? can u recommend any particular ones? what should i look for in one?
 
guy - i wish to add something something... i have this cables-to-go USB hub (additional 7 holes - ran out with all my accessories) and it's not plugged in to an AC adapter. does it make a difference - does it use any significant resourses from the pc itself? cuz i have no more holes in the wall either! as it is i have a 6-to-2 surge protector and all of that is taken. what do i do? still buy a power supply?
 
Sounds like you're going through what I went through about 4 years ago. My computer that I had before my current one was a Dell dimension 8300. It was my "dream" machine in just about every aspect... except for the Power Supply. It came with a measly 250-watt PSU. I upgraded that sucker twice before I finally turned the system off for good.

Because of this, I will never buy a dell desktop again. Their laptops are wonderful, but their desktops are not designed with hardcore gamers in mind. Their power supplies are a direct example of this. Whenever I want a desktop now, I build my own. I can customize my computer the way I want it down to the speed it runs, and it is much more satisfying than a Dell could ever be.

BTW, I don't know if Dell still uses proprietary PSU's or not, but if they do, you may have to mod your case to get a standard ATX one to fit.

well i can tell ya this man, i will not build my own pc, most i will do is customize an alienware. (this machine im running isnt that bad. except the PSU). i dont know enough to build a pc and researching every little component will take years. so.... no thnx. by the time i "build" it, it'll be outdated 20 times.

plz guys recommentd a PSU - ill buy from newegg (i have before - a camera and xD chips and a sound card)
 
If you can put together a model of any kind you can build a computer.my 10 year old daughter can build a computer and has.
she just build a deulcore 4 gigs of ram and a 9600gt took her 4 hours.you dont have to research anything.you pick amd or intel and go from there.
And ailenware are over priced dells,you know they are dells right.
 
If you can put together a model of any kind you can build a computer.my 10 year old daughter can build a computer and has.
she just build a deulcore 4 gigs of ram and a 9600gt took her 4 hours.you dont have to research anything.you pick amd or intel and go from there.
And ailenware are over priced dells,you know they are dells right.

yes i suppose (and not only because i've built models)
 
power supply all day...now it depends on how much u want to spend
I have put these in many a build like yours,have 1 in my office server hasent been off in about a year.and i have there 630 watt in my gaming rig..that never gets shut off...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028

yes i was looking at this exact product! but wait - something just hit me like a ton of bricks - is this *^$#er built-in? i mean can i replace the original dell PSU or am i gonna have to buy a new tower and thus everything?
 
no u can put it in.BUt you might need a pair of tin snips to make adjustments to case.dell psus are smaller than a average psu.
 
ok guys - here i go - taking the plunge - (in the very near future) new everything except the monitor (bigbaddabooma thanks for all your help) - tower case tornaido raidx what ever blue, 650w psu, this AMD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103228 (before i was stricktly a intel guy - we'll see) and this MOBO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131339 - u think it's good? about the AMD - one, the reviews of terrible overheating scare me (although i plan to buy a CPU "freezer" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125), and two, they arent too thrilled about that AMD... im running 2.6GHz so if im gonna bey a new one i want an improvement. at least 3.0GHz. the i7 is obviously out of my reach and so are most phenoms. the ones that aren't are below 2.6GHz. help a guy out?
thnx

*edit* before (being an intel guy) i always bought prefab DELLs (without a monitor once and with twice) and they cost me goshdarn 3 times as much!!! the extortion is just unbeleivable! and thatnk u, bigbaddabooma and all u guys. thanx alot!
*another edit* this AMD seems to be nearly as good and a lot more 5star reviews http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103272 i you guys have any experience or something - please shout at me.
 
Last edited:
i personally just bought my first AMD processor (its actually my first processor i bought, period) but its the cheaper one (2.9 GHz, for $30 less, and will easily OC to 3.2)

I personally think that the differences between Intel and AMD are very small, and unless you work with overclocking, you will not notice a big difference between the 2
 
i personally just bought my first AMD processor (its actually my first processor i bought, period) but its the cheaper one (2.9 GHz, for $30 less, and will easily OC to 3.2)

I personally think that the differences between Intel and AMD are very small, and unless you work with overclocking, you will not notice a big difference between the 2

yeah , see the intels 8500 is stock at 3.16 and can be overclocked 4.3 so maybe thats the way to go? although it is like 100more expensive.
 
i did my first build on AMD and i love it. I have AMD Phenomx4 9600 Agena BE( Black edition) stock 2.3ghz and i overclocked it to 2.6ghz cause im stock heat sink
but i love it :D
 

Latest posts

Back
Top