So, as the title suggests, I've been tooling around with building a new computer. My gaming desktop, circa 2003, has called it quits, and I've finally decided to buy a new system. I've created a list of specs based on preliminary research, I just put it together at a pre-fab computer site (www.cyberpowerpc.com), because honestly I lack the expertise I once had to build a computer from scratch. My knowledge has atrophied with new technologies, and I'm just too damned busy with school and work to bother. Plus, with past troubles, I'd welcome a warranty. So, if you read the specs at the bottom of this post, keep in mind I want a kick-ass gaming rig (though definitely not "best of the best," as that is far too expensive for a college kid like myself), but I don't mind if I have to cut a corner or two to keep the price down.
Annnnnnnyway, after reading some reviews (www.tomshardware.com), I pieced this baby together for a bit over $1500. It's not absolutely positively top notch, but my goal was less than $1600. From cyberpowerpc, I customized their "Gamer Infinity 8900 Deluxe" quad core machine. I do have a few questions, though.
Major questions: I noticed comparable performance on ATI vs nVidia cards. I've always had nVidia cards, but for the same performance, I will have to choose the cheaper option (ATI). Do you think ATI represents a better card for the buck? Also, with the 4850 card, do you think the 512 cards (I would be running a dual-SLI setup) would be alright, or would 2x 1gb cards instead offer a significantly better show? My current card is 512 and handles HL2 games and such pretty well, so the ram is doubled on top of that already. The difference from 2x 512 cards to 2x 1 gig cards is $100. Worth it? Reviews here seem to be inconclusive.
Also: Processors. Holy crap have I fallen out of touch with them. When I was building my first computer the big graphics revolution was going on, and so much more emphasis was placed on your graphics card than processor. Now I'm really sort of dumbstruck by choosing a processor, how many, what clock speed, etc. I went with a high-end intel quad-core setup here. I haven't looked at reviews (yet, though I intend to) on these, 'cause I'm too tired of reading that crap. Anyway, input here would be great. I especially am curious if it would be worth the $86 to upgrade from 2.4 ghz processors to 3.33, which also bumps the FSB to 1333 from 1066.
Sound cards: I never knew much about them because I was always one of the guys who would listen to crappy onboard audio, then listen to a high-end audio card's output, and not really notice a difference. I selected the onboard audio with this motherboard, but should I consider a card?
Any other general questions or comments are welcome.
Without further delay, here are the specs I've chosen. I left in all the details, in case anyone wanted to go to the website and tool around with the specs to see what they can create. If anyone wants to improve upon what I have here, offer advice and their own specs they'd use (or a different business they'd go with to construct the PC, or any input at all) please do. If you have suggestions that take it a bit over $1600, I won't mind. It's all about value, so if I can increase performance significantly for a minor increase in price, I'll do it. So, here we go:
CASE: Sigma Gaming Windstorm Mid-Tower 420W Case (Blue Color with Side-Window)
Neon Light Upgrade: NONE
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
POWER SUPPLY Upgrade: 680 Watts Power Supplies (Hush Power Supply SLI/CrossFire Ready)
CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel? Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 8MB L2 Cache 64-bit
COOLING FAN : XtremeGear Ultra Heatpipe Cool Copper Heatsink CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof)
MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-EP45T-DS3R Intel P45 Express CrossFireX Chipset LGA775 FSB1600 DDR3/1600 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, & 7.1Audio
MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
FREEBIES: None
VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E 16X 1GB Video Card (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
VIDEO CARD 2: ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E 16X 1GB Video Card (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
VIDEO CARD 3: NONE
LCD Monitor: NONE
2nd Monitor: NONE
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (1TB (500GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Data Hard Drive: NONE
USB PORTABLE DRIVE: USB 2.0 Portable Flash Drive (8GB)
Optical Drive: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD?R/?RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLUE COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM (BLUE COLOR)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: Logitech (BLACK) X-540 70Watts 5.1 Configuration Speaker System
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
MODEM: NONE
KEYBOARD: NONE
MOUSE: NONE
Extra Thermal Display : THERMAL TEMPERATURE LCD DISPLAY WITH 3X FAN CONTROLLER (BLUE COLOR)
Annnnnnnyway, after reading some reviews (www.tomshardware.com), I pieced this baby together for a bit over $1500. It's not absolutely positively top notch, but my goal was less than $1600. From cyberpowerpc, I customized their "Gamer Infinity 8900 Deluxe" quad core machine. I do have a few questions, though.
Major questions: I noticed comparable performance on ATI vs nVidia cards. I've always had nVidia cards, but for the same performance, I will have to choose the cheaper option (ATI). Do you think ATI represents a better card for the buck? Also, with the 4850 card, do you think the 512 cards (I would be running a dual-SLI setup) would be alright, or would 2x 1gb cards instead offer a significantly better show? My current card is 512 and handles HL2 games and such pretty well, so the ram is doubled on top of that already. The difference from 2x 512 cards to 2x 1 gig cards is $100. Worth it? Reviews here seem to be inconclusive.
Also: Processors. Holy crap have I fallen out of touch with them. When I was building my first computer the big graphics revolution was going on, and so much more emphasis was placed on your graphics card than processor. Now I'm really sort of dumbstruck by choosing a processor, how many, what clock speed, etc. I went with a high-end intel quad-core setup here. I haven't looked at reviews (yet, though I intend to) on these, 'cause I'm too tired of reading that crap. Anyway, input here would be great. I especially am curious if it would be worth the $86 to upgrade from 2.4 ghz processors to 3.33, which also bumps the FSB to 1333 from 1066.
Sound cards: I never knew much about them because I was always one of the guys who would listen to crappy onboard audio, then listen to a high-end audio card's output, and not really notice a difference. I selected the onboard audio with this motherboard, but should I consider a card?
Any other general questions or comments are welcome.
Without further delay, here are the specs I've chosen. I left in all the details, in case anyone wanted to go to the website and tool around with the specs to see what they can create. If anyone wants to improve upon what I have here, offer advice and their own specs they'd use (or a different business they'd go with to construct the PC, or any input at all) please do. If you have suggestions that take it a bit over $1600, I won't mind. It's all about value, so if I can increase performance significantly for a minor increase in price, I'll do it. So, here we go:
CASE: Sigma Gaming Windstorm Mid-Tower 420W Case (Blue Color with Side-Window)
Neon Light Upgrade: NONE
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
POWER SUPPLY Upgrade: 680 Watts Power Supplies (Hush Power Supply SLI/CrossFire Ready)
CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel? Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 8MB L2 Cache 64-bit
COOLING FAN : XtremeGear Ultra Heatpipe Cool Copper Heatsink CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof)
MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-EP45T-DS3R Intel P45 Express CrossFireX Chipset LGA775 FSB1600 DDR3/1600 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, & 7.1Audio
MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
FREEBIES: None
VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E 16X 1GB Video Card (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
VIDEO CARD 2: ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E 16X 1GB Video Card (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
VIDEO CARD 3: NONE
LCD Monitor: NONE
2nd Monitor: NONE
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (1TB (500GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Data Hard Drive: NONE
USB PORTABLE DRIVE: USB 2.0 Portable Flash Drive (8GB)
Optical Drive: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD?R/?RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLUE COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM (BLUE COLOR)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: Logitech (BLACK) X-540 70Watts 5.1 Configuration Speaker System
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
MODEM: NONE
KEYBOARD: NONE
MOUSE: NONE
Extra Thermal Display : THERMAL TEMPERATURE LCD DISPLAY WITH 3X FAN CONTROLLER (BLUE COLOR)
Last edited:









), but I would imagine it would be the same thing. Having 512MB video ram hasn't been an issue for me (I run 2x 512MB 8800GT's in SLI) in most games, but it did keep me from running GTA4 at the settings I would have liked to.











