Upgrading the Ava/Donner Box

JohnT

EGO Is My Life!
Board Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2006
Messages
4,019
We should hear about it on Friday. It should be exactly the same as the Charlie/Strand/Kettle box. Which is 3 times the box that the Ava/Donner box.

The question is....if we can't get the IP's to move over, should we move our boxes around?

Maybe move Ava to the Kalt box and then move Donner over to share with Charlie.

That woudl look like this:

Kalt and Kettle on the current Ava/Donner box

Charlie and Donner on the newer box

Then Ava would be on it's own on the Kalt box.

I doubt very serioulsy that we won't get to migrate the IP's...but I do want to know what to tell Deacon if it can't be done.

So, if anyone has any ideas.....please share.
 
or we could, just let those IP's go and keep everythign were it is and put up a new box for Ava/Donner.
 
i think that if the IPs change that it will cause a lot of confusion with the pubs that play on the servers (their links on their favorites list wont work, right?). they might think that eGO has disbanded. but maybe if we put a message on the MOTDs about the IP changes it would let people know what is about to happen.
 
People don't read the MotD. Ever.

The only way to get the pubbers to realize that the server will move is with big, in-game announcements. Even then, we'll lose quite a few. There are the folks that don't know they can go into the console to copy and paste the IP when it's announced, there are the people that just don't stop by in the few days that we're announcing the move, and there are the people that still wouldn't notice or remember. The best way we could do it would be with some kind of redirect. I know it can be done, I've been to servers where they automatically kick you over to another of their servers once the server gets so full. Just change the names of the servers to something like "=(eGO)= 24/7 Donner ***NEW IP***" and have regular announcements in-game with the new IP.

If we really need to change any IPs, we should minimize it as much as possible. Don't go swapping up the IPs to all the servers if we don't really need to. But if we can optimize the server configurations like that and keep the IPs, we should go for it, obviously.
 
I do not really think the ip's really matter that much. People will join our servers no matter what the ip's are, because they are the best; period.

=(eG)= Tweek
 
I wouldn't mind if the IPs changed, but would that mess with people's admin?, as in, would you have to redo them all?
 
eGO is so very large I don't think changing IPs will be a problem, but I do think it would cause a temporary lack of players while people found the new ones. Nothing irrepairable, though.

It'd be ideal to keep our current IPs, but I'm happy we're upgrading period. Good stuff either way, we'll continue to keep the servers full as we can.
 
agree with flea. I think ideally, we would be able to keep our IPs. but we really need to upgrade the box, same IP or not.
 
if the ips are changed, and we do loose some people during the transition period, we'll just have to do what we always do with a new server and rely on our clanmates to keep the server full, even if it means idleing there overnight, that way, we are on the top of the server list....like always
 
If we change IP's, are the stats of the servers going to go? Like we will have to reclaim #1 spot in the world? :) Other than that, most people don't read the MOTD, which is too bad. Lets see, we could say that the servers are changing IP's soon, and send it every 20 minutes or so, the way that the other messages are displayed, like "PUNCH its whats for dinner" or whatever that one is :) I'm sure new IP's would just be a temporary hit to the server populations, but will easily come back up with time, and less bottlenecks too!
 
I'd prefer keeping the ip because server regulars wouldn't have to refind the server. Though I suppose it's easy enough to find them again.
 
if we are moving ip's, we could just rename the old server to
" 24/7 eGO <map name> moved to <new ip>"

so that way if anybody has us in their favorites (which im sure A LOT of ppl do), theyll know where to find us
 
im sure that if the IPs were changed. those who are regulars might know about the website and know to check it for any info.
 
Move the ips. If you have too. This way it will be like a mini roll call. The regulars that play will know and the others will just need to visut the site or contact an admin. I think that we wont lose players just get rid of a few older regulars and find new guys to come in. There are over 15 billion people in the world, I dont think we'll lose people... And besides if they really are loyal to the clan they'll just go look for it in the thousands of server.
 
...15 billion?

Wow, we must really kicking up the pace of the baby train. We were just over 6 billion a few months ago.

But anyway, what kind of upgrade are we talking about here? Are we just gonna get a smoother running server or are we actually going to increase the rates and everything?
 
Since we are paying 4 most servers iin december with pandora could we maybe pull some donations together and run the avaslanche server on the current box and on the new one as well as the donner server and 4 one month we can reroute the ppl that join the old server to the knew one? Although i dont think this will be necessary..
 
[quote1187979704=[REB]P.T. Flea]
eGO is so very large I don't think changing IPs will be a problem, but I do think it would cause a temporary lack of players while people found the new ones. Nothing irrepairable, though.

It'd be ideal to keep our current IPs, but I'm happy we're upgrading period. Good stuff either way, we'll continue to keep the servers full as we can.
[/quote1187979704]

I also Agree with flea.
 
[quote1187990325=Yoo-Hoo!]
...15 billion?

Wow, we must really kicking up the pace of the baby train. We were just over 6 billion a few months ago.

But anyway, what kind of upgrade are we talking about here? Are we just gonna get a smoother running server or are we actually going to increase the rates and everything?
[/quote1187990325]

Haha...yes, there's only...roughly 6.4 billion people in the world, to my knowledge. Not 15 billion. Not close.

Anyway, I think a good way to look at upgrading the box is to, like John said, compare it then to the other servers. Kalt, Kettle, Strand and such. Right now players will get random lag spikes and bits of stuttery slow down in the Ava/Donner servers, and what's worse is they're our two most popular servers. Upgrading should put them at least on par with how well the others run, without any lag and a much smoother experience. Which I look forward to.

Edit: Also, I agree with the one who suggested changing the names of the current IPs in the event that we change IPs. Changing them to "eGO 24/7 Donner Moved- New IP" My other clan has had to change servers three times I think over these past three years, but a week or two before the move we changed the in-game scroll/server text that'd show up in chat to the move announcement, changed the server name to redirect them when we did move, and we as clan members just let people know in the server. Also it's worth noting we could put some sort of easily visible announcement in the uh...entry image thing, the one that's currently the sheets of paper with the clan rules and such that you see when you join the server before joining a team. Put it in huge bold text or something, I think this would surely get most everyone's attention since we're so used to the current ones.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top