New to TF2

Quaffer

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
3,824
I took advantage of the sale and picked up TF2 last night.

Any suggestions as to what server and what class is the most noob friendly?

O.O
 
I would recommend you just experiment. Try all the different classes, and try all our servers and get the feel for the different maps. Find the ones that you like. We were all noobs at one time, just have fun!!
 
I just started playing last Saturday myself. The only class I played so far is the engineer and I had a blast. Very fun game. :D
 
awesome. i went to tfwiki and read all that i could there the first few months of my playing. i just couldnt' stop wanting to play so when i couldn't i read about it. when i couldn't do that i thought about it. hahaha

really diving in a little and then reading about things seems to help.

i think maybe 2fort is a good stage for learning classes as CTF (capture the flag) is typically not quite as dynamic/confusing as CP maps... granted sometimes it just feels like deathmatch or solo play but it gives you the freedom to "goof around" a little bit
 
If you're just starting out, I would suggest either playing solder or pyro. Those seem to the be most newbie friendly classes. As far as servers go, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to capture points, go to Dustbowl. If you want to capture the flag, 2fort is a small map that is easy to get your bearings on. And if you want to push-the-cart, I would suggest Badwater because the map is so open.
 
2fort Instant Respawn is a good sandbox. Go there and experiment with all the classes.
 
Yeah, it doesn't prepare you much for other classes, but to just get a feel for the game by watching and listening to other people without actually spectating, engineer is probably a good idea. Lot less to worry about when your sentry does all the shooting :D (but I'm pretty new at this too, so that's just what I know from my little experience ;))
 
Welcome to TF! but beware TF2 is like a drug highly addictive! as for classes pyro would be the easiest.
 
Pyro: Easiest to play, hardest to master. A true connoisseur's class.

Seriously though, for a DoD player, I'd try out a soldier or sniper. They're the classes with the most familiar main weapons. And by dying as these classes, you'll see what the other classes have to offer.

Move on to the other classes after a couple of evenings. Eventually you'll find your favorite class.
 
Welcome to TF2 Quaffer! If you want to try offensive classes pyro and soldier are your best bet. When I first started TF2 I used medic a lot. I was horrible as an offensive class. By playing medic I could follow other, more experienced players around and see how they played and I could learn the maps and still be useful to the team.
 
sup quaffer! i just started playing a few weeks ago, man its addicting. its difficult at first, like dod:s, but u get used to it. like others said, 2fort instant respawn is the way to go. Otherwise, spawn time takes too long :(
 
To practice with almost every class, I used Blackmesa, the respawn time isn't that bad, and you can avoid all the one shot sniper kills, since Blackmesa is not really a sniper-friendly map anyways, its a soldier/ pyro friendly map ^^
 
Try out medic and/or heavy. Follow good players and try to pick up techniques. Check out valve maps, cashworks. Good balanced maps can be found there. (not to say the other maps on our servers aren't balanced. Some are just more noob-friendly than others).
 
If you're just starting out, I would suggest either playing solder or pyro.

I really agree with that..pyro is good for a newbie because even if you die...you can set some people on fire! Solder is good also...

Also...even a bad medic is always welcomed!
 
Last edited:
idk. I played Dustbowl and Gravelpit a lot when I was new to the game. I also played a ton of Soldier.
 
Looks like lotta' people are saying pyro, i'd agree- the pyro has good speed and damage, and w/the fire you can get a sense of distance.
But as a medic freak that I am, i also recommend medic because you do a looott of observation- I also always felt that i get a better sense of staying alive (tryin to learn how to move around the map, pattern of your movement) and being a team player also as a medic. Also, practice w/medic syringe gun since it shoots like a curve, so you can compare that to the scouts new sandman (w/the ball) and demomen's bombs :)
Ooh, and here's a tip! In your options in TF2, there should be an option for somethin to the effect of one-click-flame/heal, for the medigun or the flamethrower, you can just click once and it'll go off instead of having to hold down the mouse button, it helps a lot, trust me ;)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top