domain questions

I suggest you call the godaddy support line and ask why that is happening. But before you call go through their FAQs and online self help before calling, also google search your problem.

Possible causes:
-The replication process to all 13 main DNS servers has not finished.
-Incorrect setting somewhere either in your access settings or godaddy's backend
-ISP issue
-other DNS issue

If you buy a domain name and space make sure the name is correctly linked to the space domain. If they are seperate again make sure they are correctly linked.

Give a friend your URL and see if they have the same issue. Most web servers will still allow you to get to the web site using either method of the address.
 
Where are your namservers? Do you use Godaddy's nameservers, or your web host's nameservers?

Either way, on the nameserver, you've gotta set up the WWW. Make a new subdomain, named WWW, and point it at your main website.

For example:

http://gamium.org/

My game review website, as I set it up.

http://www.gamium.org/

Points to the website now.

BORING TECHNICAL INFO:

The domain name (i.e. "gamium.org") denotes a group of servers. Each server has it's own host name, say "mario." I can attach mario to gamium.org thusly:

mario.gamium.org

Back in the wild west days, you'd have a special server in your group of servers for www traffic. And you'd name it "www". Therefore:

www.gamium.org

Nowadays, most people just put their World Wide Web server as the main server of their domain, like I do, and therefore, there isn't a "www" server. So you have to put in a fake entry to point back to your main server.
 
Check in your GoDaddy Domain Manager, under DNS entries. I think you either need to add www.mywebsite.com as an A record, or possibly www as a CNAME alias.

I know if you were hosting your own website, you'd need to alias both mywebsite.com and www.mywebsite.com if you wanted to be able to access it from either address.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top