MAKING new icons:
You need the following:
- Graphic Design Program
- Skills or a Tutorial
Okay, lets get started. Your graphic design program, if you do not want to spend $400 on a good one (PHOTOSHOP), get the free version, just as good, called
The Gimp.
Get that installed. Then, open it up. You might want to get oriented with some of the tools first. Play around with the tools like: Rectangle Selection Tool, Circle Selection Tool, Bucket, paintbrush, wand selection tool, pencil, and gradient tool. Some of those, you may not need, but it is nice to get to know them. I could only draw, in the paintbrush tool and text tool, my name when I first got the program. Now I can make a sig like the one I have, and much more. Don't feel bad if you can't do much.
Now, to the tutorial. I have no experience with making icons, so here are some good tutorial sites, you may want to take a look at:
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Creating_Icons/ (Actual Icon tutorial)
http://gimp-tutorials.net/ (Good tutorial site)
http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/3d-icons-in-gimp.html (Again, actual tutorial, but this is advanced)
http://www.gimpplus.com/icons/create-a-page-icon-with-gimp/
http://help-developer.com/index.php/2008/06/create-an-rss-feed-iconbutton-part-5/
http://gimp-tutorials.net/node/95
http://www.pixel2life.com/tutorials/gimp/icons_and_emoticons/
.ICO file
If the file is a .ico, then you're ready to go. If it isn't DON'T RENAME IT! Open it with the gimp or another image manipulation program, and then "Save As" "name.ico". Any other file WILL NOT WORK, last time I checked.
Changing ICONS:
Modified from what Toasteddude to make it more understandable.
Navigate to your shortcut that you wish to change it's icon.
Right Click and select "Properties".
Click on the "Change Icon" Button.
Click "Browse".
Go to the folder which your .ico file is in.
Double click the icon you want it to be.
If you need any additional help, or something cleared up, feel free to post.