Map location names tell Quaffer where to go.

Quaffer

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
3,824
I recently came over from the DoD side. I like to think that this explains why I have an O and play TF2 like a clueless noob. My friends on the DoD side will be happy to tell you that I am a less than a frag god over there as well.
When I started out with DoD I made a thread asking for maps. People over there name everything. If you're on Donner and someone tells you that there is a machine gun in Bench Alley or that they need help in Field everyone knows what you mean. Except the noobies. After months and a lot of help I compiled annotated maps for all the servers Edge Gamers have for DoD and got them stickied.

Here is an example of Donner:
picture.php



I would like to see the same kind of thing done for TF2.

This is a start for Gravel Pit

picture.php


So what do you call stuff?

If the cone thing at C4 is called the sand pile let me know.
If the building at J4 has a name let me know that too.

Rules:
1. Use map coordinates in your response.
2. Don't make stuff up. I want to know the place names that people really use on the servers. So unless everybody actually knows where PurpleNurple's Playhouse or Tiddy's Folly is we don't need the confusion.

The reason for this is to get everyone using the same names. Teams are only as effective as their ability to communicate. It's no good saying "We need a sentry on the ridge" if the engineers don't know where "the ridge" is.

Feel free to start your own threads for other servers.

And thank you for telling Quaffer where he can go.
 
Last edited:
I'm not helping with my post so if you want to read something helpful, don't read further.
When you look at the map like that it looks VERY complicated. In my opinion, learning a map is about exploring it for yourself. To me, Gravelpit is one gigantic triangle while Badlands is some sort of Pan's Labyrinth that I'm still adjusting to. So I'd say the easiest way to figure out a map is to either just explore it yourself - preferably on a LAN server you host by yourself or with some buddies.
 
It's pretty different calling out stuff in TF2 than DOD. The main reason is because there aren't a bunch of buildings where you will be calling out a camper/sniper. There are no "Suze" cafes/ hotels or anything like that. Basically the terms you will hear in TF2 are "tunnel" "point ABC" "ridge"(warpath) "bridge" "cart" "roof" "spy" lol... otherwise to call out where something is the term "house" is used for pretty much anything that serves as shelter. i.e. "Hey we got a heavy/medic in the right house/building"

The cone thing at C4 is just part of the hill. The buildings like J4 which are also located in front of point A I have usually heard called sheds.
 
Last edited:
You just need to know Cap A, Cap B, Cap C, and things like 'the house on the right.' It's all pretty straight forward.

I don't really want a uniformed code for speaking lol.
 
Thanks Pastries,

The point is not to learn how to get from point A to point B. You are right when you suggest hosting your own LAN server for that. That method works great. The point is to be able to communicate with your team so that you are an effective player. So that we become effective teams. That is the reason most languages incorporate proper nouns. Listen to me. An engineer talking like a would be english teacher. LOL

Not all of the maps on the DoD side are detailed. Kalt has a few names mostly following function while Flash, Donner, Strand and Avalanche seem to have names for everthing. I expect TF2 servers are the same way.
 
Last edited:
The tf2 maps are different the DOD spawn. You can't go everywhere in that map you posted. You would have to create your own map that shows the places that players can go only. But I don't think we have much of a problem calling places on maps. True, some maps can be hard to learn. But most people will know what you are talking about when you say "Spy coming in from B towards C, watch out."
 
I also forgot to mention "battlements" This is the sniper house that is in the front windows of badlands, well, and 2fort.(maybe others) Someone might say "Hey there is a sniper on the battlements get him"
 
Id say learn the points and then learn what people call catwalks and snipers nest in certain maps (like steal) , the ridge(warpath)...ect. Not as complicated as DoD, pretty easy once you get it down really.
 
Gravel pit is an attack defend map so its not mirrored like most CP/CTF maps...Steel is another one, but it has a cheap map on it to explain the way to go..My advice is to follow the signs...
 
"C4" is not in the playable map but most people say "A-C" connecter and things like that.
 
I was making something like this from yours with the boundries cut out but im to tired...
 
What I am going to say is, when I started playing any game you have no clue where to go, what to do etc. so the way I learn is follow people, listen to where they say they are and learn from that. In many maps there are no certain names for things. The most dominant one I would say is 2fort which in each base has: an entrance, staright stairs, spiral, hay-room, courtyard, bridge, sewers, grating. At least, without going too much into it. Whereas Dustbowl has generic names like "Left tunnel" etc
 

Latest posts

Back
Top