4/29/09 Update *Kinda*

lol, 270 players deleted weapons (against the recommendation that the warning gives when you try to) that they now can't get back until this update! At least they were good test subjects.
 
I fully understand your concern DRaGZ. What i'm saying is that we shouldn't just yet start running around like maniacs. Wait and see what Valve says/does. They've never did something game changing without looking at community feedback. All we know for sure as of now is that they will put in cosmetic hats. Just because it's in the game files doesn't mean it will happen for sure. Have some faith in Valve, they're pretty great.
 
Another silent update went on today. No information was provided and now almost everyone is having problems opening up TF2. "HL2.exe is not responding."

Wonder what that's about? Huge buzz on the steam forums.
 
"Thanks to the 270 who deleted items" bwahahaha! Oh, I got a kick out of that one.

*Without picking a side* let me try and clear up why people fear the turn to the RPG. I used to play WoW and I had this one fundamental problem that many others have: those who play constantly get amazing equipment that normal people don't. You would expect the player who plays all the time to be able to beat a more casual player, nobody argues about this. What is frustrating is the equipment that makes the character of the player with more skill skyrocket. This turns an uneven match into an impossible one.

It leaves casual players with two options: devote their lives to the game, or get destroyed all the time without a chance to fight back.

So I think the backlash isn't so much against RPGs simpliciter, but to the rewards system inherent in most MMORPGs.

*returning to my opinion*
I'm glad to hear about new videos, and I'm glad that valve is concerned with keeping distinguishable classes--that was my only reservation to cosmetic items.

I'm curious to see what will happen to the skinning community after cosmetic items become more integrated.

Ah well, back to paper writing for me.
 
To Vandall ^^^^

I'm waiting too, and I do have faith in Valve.

The one thing that throws me off here is that this is implementation of something which was never part of community feedback, which is this sort of crazy weapon-specific element. The original unlockable for the Medic was to fix balance issues people were having with the class. I am guessing that Valve really liked the idea and just ran with it, with a sort of "let's do this and see what they think!" sort of mentality.

Which is totally okay, but potentially detracting from what people have grown to love about the game.

But I am preeeetty sure that it'll be okay, as long as they are aware of the issues. The fact that they are doing this cosmetically at first to gauge community reaction is a very good sign.
 
Last edited:
I don't mind the hats if they are just cosmetic and don't change the character silhouettes. But they better not give protection against snipers...
 
I don't mind the hats if they are just cosmetic and don't change the character silhouettes. But they better not give protection against snipers...

I agree. In the realm of TF2, it's one of the few things that makes the Sniper special and capable of being dangerous. Protecting against headshots would force bodyshotting which significantly lowers the skill level required to play Sniper.

But this is speculation.
 
I agree. In the realm of TF2, it's one of the few things that makes the Sniper special and capable of being dangerous. Protecting against headshots would force bodyshotting which significantly lowers the skill level required to play Sniper.

But this is speculation.

Uhm, wouldn't the hats stopping headshots ruin the class alltogether and pretty much make the sniper update useless. Also the demoman gets a fro and the sniper gets a teeth belt around his hat, so not really sure how THAT would stop a bullet.
 
Uhm, wouldn't the hats stopping headshots ruin the class alltogether and pretty much make the sniper update useless. Also the demoman gets a fro and the sniper gets a teeth belt around his hat, so not really sure how THAT would stop a bullet.

Lol, yeah...

I doubt Valve would ever be that retarded.

But they might make a hat that reduces damage from headshots?

Or not.

Again, speculation.
 
Lol, yeah...

I doubt Valve would ever be that retarded.

But they might make a hat that reduces damage from headshots?

Or not.

Again, speculation.

It looks like the hats are just purely cosmetic atm, maybe later on; but if they were gonna do this it would be like 50% damage reduction from headshots and -30% ammo
 
For some reason, this "new update" causes tf2 to remain in an indefinite Download Starting...

I wanna play tf2!!!
 
But they might make a hat that reduces damage from headshots?

That was exactly what I was worried about. But since they are cosmetic for the moment, there is nothing to worry about.

I was also worried that they would make large hats that would effectively alter the shape of peoples heads, but with the comment on silhouettes, I think they have addressed that issue.
 
That was exactly what I was worried about. But since they are cosmetic for the moment, there is nothing to worry about.

I was also worried that they would make large hats that would effectively alter the shape of peoples heads, but with the comment on silhouettes, I think they have addressed that issue.

But wouldn't an Afro cause a huge silhouette problem?!

Sniper bullets would be going through empty hair all the time!

Actually, that would be rather hilarious.
 
I do have faith in Valve, but it looks like they've decided to use TF2 as a testbed for their ideas related to the making of a "stickier" FPS that also appeals to a broader, more casual audience. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of Valve devs monkeying with basic TF2 mechanics in order to gather player feedback and usage data -- information that they'll then use to build their next generation of shooters. I guess I don't mind being a lab rat for Valve, but I do mind if some of the things that have endeared me to TF2 are messed with in the course of their feature prototyping process.

On the flipside, I've recently noticed a big uptick in enthusiasm for TF2 development at Valve, and so maybe the opportunity to use the game as a test platform will have the side effect of encouraging lots of new feature and content development (not all of which will be bad!).

Scalia.
 
But that's the thing, it WON'T turn into a "WOW-type" game. We're not going to need to fly to different cities with clans, trying to fight epic bosses or do raids. It will always, at heart, but an FPS. So what if they put something interesting in the game?

i totally agree TF2 will alwas be an FPS and when it isn't it wont be TF2. I like the new weapon updates that are coming out, it makes it require a little more thought to utilize all of the weapons abilities but when players get killed they should definitely never drop anything besides ammo, that would be terrible.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top