Gmod server help

Muffins

Famous
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
486
Hi, I just got Gmod like 7 days ago, and I have a friend(not in eGO, but would love him to join) that helped me get psx3 and a bunch of nukes, but you can only use the nuke in singleplayer or if its in multiplayer, u gotta own or be an admin of the server, and when I try and make a multiplayer server, anybody that tries to join, it always says "Server not responding" and I unchecked the LAN ip box, but it's still not working. If anybody could help me with that, I would LOVE it cuz I'm tired of having to join empty servers that don't have the right limits on props or something.

Here's the short version: Could somebody show me how to make a multiplayer Gmod server that actually WORKS.
 
Well first off, you're going to need to forward your ports properly if you're behind a router/modem with a firewall (almost everything on the market has a built in firewall)...

Basically this is opening up your port, and forwarding it to /your specific computer/, so that people asking for your server are asking for your computer and not someone else's computer on your network.

A useful site is portforward.com
The basic gist is, select your router model [skip the advertisement], select a game (just use Counter-Strike Source... it should use the same ports), and follow the instructions.

To find your "internal IP to forward to" just go to command prompt and run ipconfig, you will have some 4 segmented numbers, one of them will be your IP.

You're looking for the number after "IP Address:"
29ldx7n.jpg

Then login to your router (enter http://192.168.0.1 in your browser, replace that IP address with the one after "Default Gateway:")

After you have managed to portforward, go to whatismyip.com and hand out your IP address to people and have them connect to it.

Its a little complex to understand so feel free to add me on xfire or steam and I'd be glad to help you out any way I can :D
 
When I did ipconfig in command promp, a lot more numbers came up (cuz we have a huge house so we have like 5 routers) but I didnt see an IP address, this is exactly what it looks like(I photoshopped it so u culd read it better):
a1f49666f39b4d66aaca7d072a33b1f1


Also I have Vista, if that makes a differance, and it was custom made in china, so idk if they left out anything.
 
What you're looking for is the IP of the router so you can log in. Under "Ethernet adapter Local Area Network", theres a bit that says "Default Gateway". That's your router's IP address, so now you just follow the guide on http://portforward.com as drbob said.

Generally if the guide say something about forwarding to a static IP, you can ignore it unless you're planning on running your server 24/7. Just plugging in your IP address from the "IPv4 Address" should work.

Here's what you should be looking for:
ipconfig_help.PNG
 
You don't HAVE to forward the port. It does work better, but I have a small GMod server for me and my friends and it's on my dad's computer running in the background. No static IP addresses, no forwarded ports.

Go to www.whatismyip.com and give the address they show you at the top of the screen. I've been there, done that. This is my solution
 
Last edited:
You don't HAVE to forward the port. It does work better, but I have a small GMod server for me and my friends and it's on my dad's computer running in the background. No static IP addresses, no forwarded ports.

Go to www.whatismyip.com and give the address they show you at the top of the screen. I've been there, done that. This is my solution

If you're behind a router you always have to forward ports. Otherwise packets cannot be routed to the correct computer on a local network.
 
If you're behind a router you always have to forward ports.

Okay. But seriously, they're not forwarded and we use the server often. He just seemed to have a hard time understanding the port forwarding bit, so I threw that out there.
 
If yer add me, I probably can get you some friends who can help out with the server.

EDIT: Username is raybloke545... Go Go Go
 

Latest posts

Back
Top