the spy (need help!)

hondo

Active Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2009
Messages
270
hey guys i was just wondering if you got any helpful tips on the spy,i really want a new class to play thats fun rather then sniper. any tips?:facewall:
 
Try digging up some old threads, we have a lot of these lying around. Just go on youtube for awhile. Start off with Evil Daedalus'.
 
Watch the videos on youtube, namely tehpete, OMFGninja, Evil Daedul, etc... and just practice, it takes time.

~Sandman~
 
If you are looking to play spy, all I can say is watch as many tutorials as possible and then practice those tips over and over and over. Do not expect to get huge chain stabs early on all I can say expect to be dissapointed. Spy is a class that you learn over time, you have to learn the diff stabs there are, you have to learn how to manuver while cloaked through groups of enemies comming at you without bumping into them, you have to learn where all the hiding spots as well as shortcuts and medpacks are on all maps and you have to learn to be patient. This is not a class to be taken lightly, but it is a very very fun class to play and it is a key class that can win the game for the team. If you are still interested in learning spy, here is a link I posted with a few tutorial vids that helped me when I was learning spy.

http://edgegamers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84101
 
I'm so sad, no mention of mean 'ol zaw here.

But yeah, take a look on the advanced tutorials and stuff on youtube, you'll be getting spy down in no time (not, takes forever to get decent at spy :P).
 
Practice a LOT, even when your just getting destroyed (trust me it happens to all of us) just keep going at it and adapt and learn what to do differently. Spy takes the most time to learn out of all the classes, it isnt just one you pick up really quick.

Most people play spy for a bit, they get killed a ton then just never go back, got to be persistent.
 
oh yeah, and zaw helps teach how to play spy...*mumble hes just not around much any more mumble*. J/K zaw, you know we love (to back stab) you.
 
Yea here it is:

1. ALWAYS Disguise as a Demo man unless ur in a sniper spot...
2. Use original spy watch
3. Get good at quick drawing and hitting the head with your ambassador.
3. Practice different types of stabs Lunging stabs, side stabs, and basic back stabs ect.
4. Best place to practice is on fast lane because of the position of the equipment and health boxes (makes for a good circuit)
5. Practice Practice Practice!

That's it right there.
 
Best way to learn to play spy?

Play every other class.
(No, seriously. Quit laughing at me.)

The ideal Spy will act like the class he's disguised as. Learn the patterns of each class on your map, figure out general building locations, and then throw on your paper mask.

Gentlemen, I bid you good luck.
 
Yea here it is:

1. ALWAYS Disguise as a Demo man unless ur in a sniper spot...
2. Use original spy watch

That's it right there.


LOL, easiest way to get caught and killed is to always disguise as the same class over and over. Original watch is best imo, but I still love the C&D. The dead ringer will just get you killed, dont use it. It is of no use against good pyros and good heavies.
 
Best way to learn to play spy?

Play every other class.
(No, seriously. Quit laughing at me.)

The ideal Spy will act like the class he's disguised as. Learn the patterns of each class on your map, figure out general building locations, and then throw on your paper mask.

Gentlemen, I bid you good luck.

Yes, knowing the map inside and out helps amazingly (Shortcuts etc.). You should be good at using your disguses but your most useful tool is the cloak; learn to manage it and only un-cloak when your out and in a safe place to recharge and find some ammo boxes(back to knowing the map). I'm pretty much cloaked 80% of the time and come out when im ready for a kill, just trailing someone disguised will be noticed by one of there team-mates and you'll get destroyed from everyone behind you.
 
just trailing someone disguised will be noticed by one of there team-mates and you'll get destroyed from everyone behind you.

Unless you have killed them all and left bodies in your wake and the one you are trailing is the last one alive on their team...LOL.
 
Unless you have killed them all and left bodies in your wake and the one you are trailing is the last one alive on their team...LOL.

Rofl. Another tip - if you see a group of people make sure everyone passes start at the back and work you way up. Most satisying feeling in the game is a 10 person chain stab.
 
You know... The funny thing... I've been playing spy for 10+ years and I never once looked at one of these new tutorials...
 
The only advice I can give, is stay away from me. Pyro is one of my most played classes, and 90% of the time I play him, it's for spy defense >:D
 
Unless you have killed them all and left bodies in your wake and the one you are trailing is the last one alive on their team...LOL.


Sane disguise is ok in EGO servers, players are always joining and leaving. Also there will always be at least 3 demoman on the other team and ppl get so worked up about the points they don't spy check.

They will usually only attack u if this happens :facewall: oh what was that a spy?



XD
 
Listen up, what I am about to say now - I will only say once and it will change your life forever..
Learn by doing.
 
Well if you're looking for people to watch play in game on the eGO servers, look for Sandman, TheZaw (never played against, but I guess you're good :P), Jehuty (still plays on eGO servers) Frisky isn't too bad (I would say your great, but I dominated you as Heavy twice :P) Cut Chem!st and myself all are pretty good spies. Remember these things...

1. Use the original watch.

2. You can disguise as anything, trust me. Disguises for the most part are for sentries and a good 4-5 seconds of hesitation. I guess disguising as Scout in a crowd isn't a good idea, but when you're far away it's fine.

3. Heights are your friend. Being above your targets has its advantages. Makes you harder to spy check, etc.

4. Try to change disguises only while cloaked. This removes that annoying smoke effect that can bring attention to you anywhere.

5. Always, always, always be disguised while you aren't shooting/stabbing. Use friendly disguises in friendly territory. Disguise as a friendly anything except Heavy.

6. Stab+Sap>Sap+Stab

7. Bad dispenser placement can save you. Just the other day I was playing on GoldRush, horrible dispenser placement allowed me to stab the engineer while standing safely behind the dispenser, redisguise and sap away.

8. Blend in. Don't look at the sentry you're about to sap all the time. React to enemy bullets and explosions. If somebody Spy checks you with a bullet weapon, act like nothing happened, while going towards a target. When sitting at an engineer base near a dispenser, do not... I repeat do not look, think about, think about looking at, breath on or anyways think about touching that sentry. Just sit there and act as though you're healing or getting more ammo. And then move in when the crowd is gone. Don't be that Spy who just runs up to an engineer base and saps like crazy, gets crit wrenched and the sappers are removed. It does nothing but make the engineer more suspicious.

9. Never use the same disguise twice in a row.

10. Switch weapons, walk around in base as a Sniper with a Kukri or Jarate/SMG. As a Demoman, carry your stickybomb launcher. Engineer, pistol or wrench will buy you extra time.

11. Because you should use the regular watch, always keep an eye out for ammo boxes/dropped weapons. You have to use your cloak wisely as it is your best weapon. Before you could recharge the cloak with ammo, it was a very short time to be invisible. I got used to that, and now moving across entire maps while cloaked is nothing short of very simple.



Those are some tips I tend to use :P Have fun stabbing!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top