AMD's Phenom CPUs

Bravo Company

Forum Fiend
Joined
Mar 30, 2009
Messages
645
What do you guys think about them? I got a phenom 9500 in my computer as of now and its not doing that great gaming, multitasking is wonderful but gaming isn't...
 
games don't take full advantage of quad cores. Multitasking sorta can since you could set stuff to run on only certain cores and balancing.... yea not for gaming
 
Depends on the game your playing, but i've had my quad core for a while and its pretty awesome; although mine is intel.
 
I hear the phenom II is supposed to be leaps and bounds over the first series of phenoms
 
ya quad core isn't really optimized yet, depending what game you're playing of course
i personally love AMD chips tho, and i want to grab up an AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7 GHz i think its for like 80-90 bucks. easily overclocked to 3 GHz
 
Phenom II's are currently by far the best bang for buck quad core processors on the market. *Was debating buying one, decided to wait for the i5 since ddr3 and x58 boards are still stupid expensive.

However (and this is unlikely to change for at least a year) as others have said most games do NOT utilize quads. Heck most games don't properly utilize 2 cores. That said the E8400 - 8500 chips are still among the best performing chips for games.
 
Yeah I heard the phenom II is kicking ass and taking names. The regular phenoms are pretty much crap.

Yeah pretty much, the Phenom I's aren't that bad they are just terrible at OC'ing and are very slow. Well I guess that is pretty bad. :P
 
I have the phenom x4 quad, It's great at multitasking, Above average for most of my games, in which I often stream internet radio fairly well with. Doesn't usually give me any problems unless i'm running like 5 or 6 different windows, but that could also be my measly 2gb of ram. I didn't know too much about processors when I built my computer, and the main reason was I heard the AMD quad gave more bang for your buck over it's intel counterpart, I was on a fairly strict budget. IMO it's a great CPU, but i'm probably not as tech savvy as most of these other guys.

~Sandman~
 
i have a phenom II x4 955 overclocked to 3.8ghz and its great i love it is only out preformed by the i7's
 
Sorry to hear your woes. These guys are right, however. Most games aren't able to distribute the workload across the multiple cores, so your advantage goes right out the window. See, from the game's perspective it only sees one or two processors, and it doesn't even see anything else. At that point, speed comes into play. It works off of the one or two cores and for all it cares, you have a single or dual core CPU. This is especially true for slightly older games.

You're running, what, 2.2 GHz? Nah, that's pretty slow for modern games. My advice for you is to either overclock, or buy a new chip if you're not comfortable with the previous suggestion.

-Xen

P.S. Core 2 Duo e7200 @3.6 GHz destroys my friends. I get better FPS than them, and they wonder why their obviously superior CPU is holding them back.
 
i have a phenom II x4 955 overclocked to 3.8ghz and its great i love it is only out preformed by the i7's

Chief lets do some benchmarking ! im running 3.8 ghz on air with my phenomII 940 be , wonder how big the difference is . please pm me , id love 2 get together and benchmark !
 
Bah, I'm running my garbage AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU clocked at 2 GHz. >_>

I think it's time for an upgrade. I've been looking at the Phenom II's. They look great.

But first I have to upgrade my motherboard, because it only supports dual core CPUs. :(
 
Since I rebuilt my PC with a Quad 6600 (overclocked to 3.0Ghz) I've lost track of whats happening in the CPU market, apart from the intel i7's and TECooling that is.

There are a couple of games out already that utilise 2 cores to some extent by using the second core to help out with AI, but otherwise my two other cores are wasted as far as games are concerned.
I've usually got a variety of programs running across my second screen though, so it's not completely pointless.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top