Computer Clock keeps changing randomly

blackhawksniper

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
6,861
Starting last night, the clock on my computer changes times randomly. I have had to change it to the proper time at least 5 times. Ive reset my computer and that does not fix anything. I had my computer idling and it still changes the clock randomly.

Any suggestions?
 
Can be a virus or malware. Go into BIOS and see that the time in there is set properly and if it jumps around in there.
 
i remember my old old computer, it was so slow and glitchy that it would actually lose about 20 minutes a day because of how glitchy and slow it ran...no other reason
tho i doubt this is your problem
 
CPU clocks don't lose time because they are slow and glitchy. These are digital devices, based on sound mathematical logic. Something must occur for it to switch time out of nowhere. The question is it Windows that has time issues or is it the CPU?
 
First thing I would ask you is, "Did you change out your BIOS battery?"

Second, if it isn't because of the battery, and it isn't malware, there is a remedy for it. download free sync software that automatically syncs your system with an atomic clock over the internet.
 
To get into the BIOS: When you turn on your computer there should be a line that says something along the lines of 'Press F2 for Setup' its usually f2, f8 or delete, thatll take you into the bios & you can OC/change boot order, change clock, all that good stuff. Once in your bios, you have to look around in your options for the clock, it shouldnt be hard to find, normally its the top option.
 
It almost sounds like a Windows issue before a BIOS. My recommendation would be to run your favorite virus scanner. :P
 
Meh... a virus that changes time? come on.... doubtful!

A few steps to take....

1) Is your time in the right time zone? I have done this before and kept changing the time on me until I discovered this.

2) I doubt it is a bios problem because it captures the times from windows after it is installed and it automatically updates to it. I would check your Bios battery to make sure it is good. I do not know if you have a multimeter... but you can buy a 2 pack of batteries of the right kind for the same amount. Make sure the bios battery you get is RECHARGEABLE otherwise it will blow up in your pc (aka go to a computer store to buy one :) ).

3) If all else fails... then I am out of ideas lol and it could be a virus, but highly doubtful. I have never seen a virus that would just "change time" on someone... Hackers are not looking to "distort your time reality" lol, they just want your bank account numbers.
 
My guess was the CMOS battery too.

Does it always reset when you power on your PC?

If it stays the correct time once you set it but resets when you power your machine off it's probably the CMOS battery.

The CMOS battery is just a small watch size battery in the computer that keeps track of time and when it dies your computer clock resets every time you turn it off.
 
Its a laptop that I always have plugged in, not a desktop (if that matters) and I almost never turn it off, I just leave it in standby. The time changes without restarting the computer, but sometimes stays for a few minutes if I reset it at the proper time.



and yes, I do have the right timezone ;)
 
My guess was the CMOS battery too.

Does it always reset when you power on your PC?

If it stays the correct time once you set it but resets when you power your machine off it's probably the CMOS battery.

The CMOS battery is just a small watch size battery in the computer that keeps track of time and when it dies your computer clock resets every time you turn it off.

if it was the battery you would get messages saying that its not working

your comp may possibly be syncing to the network its on
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top