Asking experienced Medics

Baen

EGO Addict
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
1,181


Hey I'm pretty new to medic, and I play for one round on Black Mesa the hole round with medic and I was just wondering how I did.

My goal was not to kill anyone :D

The round ended in a stalemate

It's a 2 Assists to Deaths

And about 900 Healing per life

Thanks
 
Medics #1 goal is to survive.

#2 goal is to keep others alive.

How long was the round?

Because 82 deaths is a lot of deaths.
 
Well, you'd do better if you fought back some instead of just running away. Learn to run backwards and fire the blutsauger at people chasing you, it's a good deterrent.

Like they said, your #1 job is your own survival, and dying twice per assist isn't very good, you should be getting at least double that. It does depend on your teammates though.

For instance, that same round I was around 200 kills, 100 deaths, and about 400-500 assists. My healing was well over 100,000, possibly 150,000.

If your group just got wiped out, run away and shoot back at them until you've got a safe zone. Try to meet up with some more people on your team. If you see something sneaking up on the group you're healing, then call it out, if they still don't turn around, kill it yourself. You should be learning how to kill with the medic as well as healing and ubering.

I'm not saying go combat medic 24x7, but being able to take care of yourself is the best thing you can learn. As a medic, you'll either die first and not have to worry, or be left alone to fend for yourself. Don't go down without a fight.

Also, while I was watching you play, I noticed you're not looking around enough. When you attach that healing stream to someone, you're trusting them to look ahead of you, you need to be constantly scanning the rest of the area for other people and telling your partner. If they don't do anything about it, then you need to find yourself a new partner to heal. I was able to blindside you and your partner many times during the match.

And what else... let's see...

Oh yes, learn to dodge better and don't sit still. You should be constantly moving. Running in straight lines will get you killed.


Keep up the good work, we'll make an ?bermensch out of you yet.
 
Umm, don't be afraid to whip out that blutsauger & go to town on people :) A lot of people underestimate this, but by draining their health while adding to you own can turn the tide of a battle right quick.

Also, the number of deaths doesn't necessarily mean hes an unskilled medic. From the k/d ratio it looks like 1) the person you were healing wasn't keeping an eye on you [making special trips to get you health & such] 2) You were always in the heat of battle healing people [good job] & 3) By having no kills it looks like you were putting the lives of other teammates above yours

Tips:
1) Medic are so much more important alive than your teammates. Anyone can deal out damage, but only you can keep people doing & pop ubers. If you round a corner in the vent to an uber heavy: don't hang to help your heal your guy, run! Don't feel bad about having to pull back to stay alive, there are tons of others on your team that can deal out damage, but there is probably only you & maybe 1 other that can heal :)
2) When I do medic, I'm always dancing/hopping around, constant dodging will help keep the snipers & spys off you.
3) If you have a mic, be constantly talking with whoever your healing, call out anyone & anything around, behind, above you so that they know whats going on.
4) This is the most important tip, so important, lets call this a commandment! Have fun with it. Don't worry so much about keeping other players happy or worry of you're better than a diff player, as long as you enjoy it then you're doing a great job :) For me, the more relaxed I am, the better medding I do.

As for the ratio of 2/1 on Assists to deaths, thats not bad by any means, however it could be a lot higher. What you may want to do if you'd like to up this, is on your main map get together with another main, like a soldier or heavy, someone who is on often when you are & be their personal medic. You'll get to know how they play & you'll work better as a team upping the effectiveness of both of you.
 
Well, you'd do better if you fought back some instead of just running away. Learn to run backwards and fire the blutsauger at people chasing you, it's a good deterrent.

Like they said, your #1 job is your own survival, and dying twice per assist isn't very good, you should be getting at least double that. It does depend on your teammates though.

For instance, that same round I was around 200 kills, 100 deaths, and about 400-500 assists. My healing was well over 100,000, possibly 150,000.

If your group just got wiped out, run away and shoot back at them until you've got a safe zone. Try to meet up with some more people on your team. If you see something sneaking up on the group you're healing, then call it out, if they still don't turn around, kill it yourself. You should be learning how to kill with the medic as well as healing and ubering.

I'm not saying go combat medic 24x7, but being able to take care of yourself is the best thing you can learn. As a medic, you'll either die first and not have to worry, or be left alone to fend for yourself. Don't go down without a fight.

Also, while I was watching you play, I noticed you're not looking around enough. When you attach that healing stream to someone, you're trusting them to look ahead of you, you need to be constantly scanning the rest of the area for other people and telling your partner. If they don't do anything about it, then you need to find yourself a new partner to heal. I was able to blindside you and your partner many times during the match.

And what else... let's see...

Oh yes, learn to dodge better and don't sit still. You should be constantly moving. Running in straight lines will get you killed.


Keep up the good work, we'll make an ?bermensch out of you yet.

He actually got two assists per death, which is a 2:1 A:D ratio, which ain't too bad.
 
Thanks guys for the help

Ill try all of this tonight on Black Mesa
 
mmm.
As whoever said, 82 is alot of death if you have about 164 assists.
I Just got like 120:13 A:D Ratio with 1duck on 2fort, and im normally hitting the 300 assists mark with davethegreat on mesa.
as stated, your main Thing is to survive, but if your left on your own and running away, use your blautsauger.
i would write more but im very busy, if you need anything else just ask.

Ash//
 
mmm.
As whoever said, 82 is alot of death if you have about 164 assists.
I Just got like 120:13 A:D Ratio with 1duck on 2fort, and im normally hitting the 300 assists mark with davethegreat on mesa.
as stated, your main Thing is to survive, but if your left on your own and running away, use your blautsauger.
i would write more but im very busy, if you need anything else just ask.

Ash//

Oh yeah, with Davethegreat...Camping the vents.
 
With 250+ points you should have:
100,000+ healing
60+ ubers
70 - deaths

Don't be afraid to whip out that Ubersaw and take a few swings, even if you don't kill them you fill your uber.

Also A:D ratio is not the only thing to look at in a performance review. Pay attention to your U:D ratio. (Uber:Death) If your not cranking out the ubers, your either; dying too much, not healing, or holding ubers too long. Ubers win games, so make them.
 
Last edited:
With 250+ points you should have:
10000+ healing
60+ ubers
70 - deaths

Don't be afraid to whip out that Ubersaw and take a few swings, even if you don't kill them you fill your uber.

Also A:D ratio is not the only thing to look at in a performance review. Pay attention to your U:D ratio. (Uber:Death) If your not cranking out the ubers, your either; dying too much, not healing, or holding ubers too long. Ubers win games, so make them.

This.

And use that Blutsauger, it gets you health pretty fast.
 
I dug up this screenshot. It shows the ratios that I was talking about.

U:D 1+:1
A:D 5:1

The only thing lacking here is healing. Also see that I have some kills, all with the ubersaw (I don't use blut). Pay no attention to the domination icons.

plr_pipeline0002.jpg
 
Really, you shouldn't be trying to get NO kills. You have the blut and the ubersaw for a reason, supposed to use it to survive and you can actually kill a quite a few people if you know how to aim with the needle gun.
 
I usually have to get around 20-30 points each live, sometimes it is even higher, but it is hard to be a good medic since some players lack a bit of tactical sense so they will get their medics killed, ofcourse I rather stay alive and might call them to fall back, but if they don't listen they die while I am retreating.

Usually there are only a few people around who I want to medic, I don't have that much faith in other people to properly protect me :P
usually it is either Galkafisher, black_hand or angryfingertips.

but as a medic I would still have a kdr around 3:1, since I just love to ubersaw spies or other people (strange enough a lot of pyro's)
 
I agree cliff. I hate ubering annoying who just sits like. "uh y is my gun glowin' blu?????????????" They make me mad = P. Also like Cliff said i <3 ubersawing. Mainly demos
 
mmm.
As whoever said, 82 is alot of death if you have about 164 assists.
I Just got like 120:13 A:D Ratio with 1duck on 2fort, and im normally hitting the 300 assists mark with davethegreat on mesa.
as stated, your main Thing is to survive, but if your left on your own and running away, use your blautsauger.
i would write more but im very busy, if you need anything else just ask.

Ash//

Mesa doesn't count.
 
BTW, Arena mode is a very interesting mode to play as medic.

Chances are if there is a medic, you're team will win, if the other team doesn't have medics.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top