Beware Idlers (don't bother reading unless you use Drunkenfool's)

Haggus McGee

Forum Fiend
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
652
In spite of me saying it was clean, recently I did a scan on my PC, and Drunkenfool's idle program had a vapsup trojan (mainly used for advertising). I would scan your idle program for viruses. I couldn't disinfect via the virus checker, so I had to delete the program myself and it's clean now. So yea, it might have been hacked or something idk. Of course the trojan may have just hopped onto it and not actually come from it, but the evidence points towards it.
 
Hmm.. AVG did not detect anything, I'm gonna download a few extra programs later and see if they find something. Thanks for the info!
 
Scanning through the directory where I put the Idler.

I'm gonna delete it anyway because I dont use it anymore...I forgot to close it almost every time I really started TF2 and I got kicked from servers because I couldnt connect VAC D:

E: Didnt find anything with...Norman Security Suite....Yeeah it came with the PC.
 
Nothing with Ariva but to be honest I wasn't expecting anything. Drunken Fool isn't going to ruin SourceOp's rep by making his programs with viruses. Or you had a false positive.

My KIS (Kaspersky) just decided to detect steamstats.exe as Trojan. Trojan.Win32.Vapsup.uey.
Anyone else?

I looked on the SourceOP thread on the idler and Kaspersky makes a false positive on the idler too.
Hello,


Sorry, it was a false detection. It will be fixed in the next update.
Thank you for your help.

>
> LANG: en
> email: [email protected]
> product: Latest
> viruses_date: Latest
>
> description:
> This program is falsely detected as Trojan.Win32.Vapsup.uey.
>
> uploaded files:
> SteamStats.exe
>
>
Sincerely yours,
Gashkin Alex,
Virus Analyst.

Pretty sure it isn't a Trojan.
 
Last edited:
Nothing with Ariva but to be honest I wasn't expecting anything. Drunken Fool isn't going to ruin SourceOp's rep by making his programs with viruses. Or you had a false positive.



I looked on the SourceOP thread on the idler and Kaspersky makes a false positive on the idler too.


Pretty sure it isn't a Trojan.

So what is it?
 
So what is it?

More likely than not, your computer was seeing one of the processes used in the Idler as a trojan. When it goes through Steam, it doesn't see it, because Steam as a whole is not a trojan. But when you strip it down to the bare parts, it can look like a trojan. Mainly because it sends small packets of information to a website and back again. If this were a whole program, your computer wouldn't care, but since it's basically an individual function, your computer went on false alert.
 
Did you get the program from a mirror site? If so, get it from his thread and nowhere else. It's probably false anyways, like the gentlemen above said.

..No problems here.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top