Microphones Spies and Names

Quaffer

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
3,824
People who don't play on my team please ignore this thread.

Ok team mates are we alone now? Good. Keep this on the downlow.

I've touched on this briefly in other posts. I think it's worthy of it's own thread.

You are in a position to save your teammates ammo. When you approach a teammate tap your mic key. An exclamation point will appear above your head which only your teammates can see. If you can see an exclamation point on top of someones head they are on your team. Ergo they are not an enemy spy. Hence you don't need to shoot them and waste ammo to do a spy check. If you say hi and they don't respond cry havock and let mayhem reign. Anything that makes it harder for an enemy spy is worth persuing.

When you use your mic to give warning use names. I'm not sure of the subtleties of the mic. When you use it can everyone on your team hear you or just those in line of sight. I do know that "Quaffer Spy" gets my attention and doesn't confuse the whole team like saying "spy behind you" may. When you put your sights on people it shows you their name. Of course it also shows the name of a person that a spy is impersonating. I killed myself once on Egypt. That was fun. Learn the names of the people on your team. It's handy for all kind of stuff.

My handle is Quaffer. If I was texting It might be warped into Kwa4. I actually pronounce it kwa fur, not kwa four. The point is, the harder it is to read your name, the harder it is for people to use your name.

Winning teams communicate. Use your mic or text for short comments about the game. When your talking about the scores of the latest ball game I can't tell you that there is a level three sentry setup on Capture Point B. The old hands should be suggesting strategy. "Soldiers and demos push the right flank" or some such.

Place names. With the exception of capture points I never see them used on TF2. If you play Donner on DoD all the good players know exactly what you mean if you say there is an MG in the bike shed or a sniper in the dark room. On the other hand Kalt players only use about sixteen location names and almost half of them are duplicates allies and axis. It's easier to communicate with names but I don't expect to see it happen in TF2. Still, it's something to think about.

If you only remember one thing from this thread it should be this:

Winning teams communicate!
 
ya to counter spy use the mic test or the shot test.
the shot test is the same as what he described you just shoot the wall because spy cant fire weapons with out losing there disuse.

and also know your team mates and what role they play example offensive or defensive and what area of the map the tend to stick too. if you see someone who is not in there usual spot kill them.
 
I try to give the class and location of the spy every time, if I get the name of the spy I call that out too. But anybody trying to get toward the intel gets peppered no matter who you are. Even the guy carrying the enemy intel gets blasted on, I'll worry about ammo at a later time.

I love the spy who tries to pull off the same person the whole round, gets a laugh and easy kill every time.
 
as que'ing the mic enables voice chat. and voice chat is the spawn of satan.

thanks but no thanks. ammo ain't that hard to come by in tf2.
 
Or you could just try walking through them. Of course this way might get you face stabbed.
 
I'm 100% on board with just about everything you said Quaffer. I almost always call out a spy like "Spah as <class> in <one-or-two-word-descriptor>" and it usually is fairly effective. Being fast and enunciating on the mic saves lives. I try to avoid Spy behind so-and-so or Spy as <someone's name> as those tend to be far less helpful and descriptive to the whole team.

Using your mic and communicating is very effective. If someone gets by you and heading to a critical point or trying to catch your teammates off guard, ruin his advantage of surprise by letting your teammates know they're there. A little scout causing havoc in the sewers or battlements of 2fort is quickly neutralized when a chunk of your team heads that way for an easy kill. When sniping on 2fort I dunno how many times I've been saved by a teammate by simply calling out, "scout on battlements," or "soldier on battlements." Pyro's love that stuff.

To iliekcheese, you could simply turn down "voice recieve volume" to 0 instead of disabling voice all-together. And to GrinningHillbilly, you don't necessarily need a mic to just use it as a spy checking device. People might say "Can't hear you" but you can just explain shortly in team chat, "just spy checking" which isn't terribly accurate but people should be able to figure out what you mean and they themselves might start doing it.

bulletsinfire is definitely right too. just fire off a shot to let people know you're not a spy. and as well try to pay attention to your teammates strategies and watch for peculiar behavior. Try to ask yourself, "what is that teammate doing."

Another thing I see all the time is people will bump into an invisible spy, turning him semi visible for a second and people will just walk right by. Try to pay atttention to that stuff.

I usually do what FreakingHell suggests and just see if i can walk through people, if they try to avoid you, it's most likely a spy. But as he said it can be quite dangerous if you're not ready.
 
Last edited:
Very good post Kwa4!
But..
i have news for you....


I'M ON THE OTHER TEAM! BWHAHAH!!!

I say this in game all the time.. but its nice to have it posted somewhere... maybe people will learn. When i'm playing on lan and such, i key my mic open so it is ALWAYS on (not going to say how to do that here, as it would create mic spam and thus get people kicked) Plus my mic is semi-decent quality, so doesn't sound like crap.


We do use place names in TF2.. but mostly only on the older, more well known maps (read: 2fort) ie: Intel room (aka: flag room), Sniper deck (aka: battlements), Ramp room (ska: courtyard), Sink Room, Hay Room, Spiral, Under-The Grate, Sewer Stairs, Sewer Base, Water.


it dosnt matter that you have a mic your just hiting the voice button so ther is the icon above your head becuase spy cant do that
QFT and QFImportance
 
I'm 100% on board with just about everything you said Quaffer. I almost always call out a spy like "Spah as <class> in <one-or-two-word-descriptor>" and it usually is fairly effective. Being fast and enunciating on the mic saves lives. I try to avoid Spy behind so-and-so or Spy as <someone's name> as those tend to be far less helpful and descriptive to the whole team.

Using your mic and communicating is very effective. If someone gets by you and heading to a critical point or trying to catch your teammates off guard, ruin his advantage of surprise by letting your teammates know they're there. A little scout causing havoc in the sewers or battlements of 2fort is quickly neutralized when a chunk of your team heads that way for an easy kill. When sniping on 2fort I dunno how many times I've been saved by a teammate by simply calling out, "scout on battlements," or "soldier on battlements." Pyro's love that stuff.

To iliekcheese, you could simply turn down "voice recieve volume" to 0 instead of disabling voice all-together. And to GrinningHillbilly, you don't necessarily need a mic to just use it as a spy checking device. People might say "Can't hear you" but you can just explain shortly in team chat, "just spy checking" which isn't terribly accurate but people should be able to figure out what you mean and they themselves might start doing it.

bulletsinfire is definitely right too. just fire off a shot to let people know you're not a spy. and as well try to pay attention to your teammates strategies and watch for peculiar behavior. Try to ask yourself, "what is that teammate doing."

Another thing I see all the time is people will bump into an invisible spy, turning him semi visible for a second and people will just walk right by. Try to pay atttention to that stuff.

I usually do what FreakingHell suggests and just see if i can walk through people, if they try to avoid you, it's most likely a spy. But as he said it can be quite dangerous if you're not ready.



great idea. i'll give that a shot tonight and see how it verks.
 
I dislike joining teams where everyone has mics yet no one is using them, people being shy or what? We usually end up losing like that.
 
I dislike joining teams where everyone has mics yet no one is using them, people being shy or what? We usually end up losing like that.

very good point. if you have a mic, for the love of god use it. and be short and to the point.
 
If you have a mic, for the love of god use it. and be short and to the point.

I map my mic button to my middle mouse button so it's always at hand when I need to give a warning.
I think some people may be holding back because they don't want to move their hands from the home location on the keyboard.

I dislike joining teams where everyone has mics yet no one is using them, people being shy or what? We usually end up losing like that.


The more experienced players should try breaking the ice if no one is talking. Show leadership and suggest a strategy. Most people are willing to follow if given a direction. If your strategy doesn't work you're no worse off than a whole group of people doing their own thing. If it works they'll all be in awe of your generalship.
 
Last edited:
I've done that before, and a few times I had people tell me "I cant hear you your mic is not working." lol
 
I've done that before, and a few times I had people tell me "I cant hear you your mic is not working." lol

I know I posted a wall of text but in there I said:

People might say "Can't hear you" but you can just explain shortly in team chat, "just spy checking" which isn't terribly accurate but people should be able to figure out what you mean and they themselves might start doing it.
 
Nothing annoys me more than people who yell "SPY!" into the mic



then nothing else.

No name, no area, nothing. Thanks for letting us know one of the enemy players is playing a spy, but it really isn't helpful. It's actually detrimental because now your entire team is going to spin around wildly shooting every shadow and wasting ammo.

"Spy is <class> <name>"

That's all you need to do.
 
Nothing annoys me more than people who yell "SPY!" into the mic



then nothing else.

No name, no area, nothing. Thanks for letting us know one of the enemy players is playing a spy, but it really isn't helpful. It's actually detrimental because now your entire team is going to spin around wildly shooting every shadow and wasting ammo.

"Spy is <class> <name>"

That's all you need to do.

and location
 
I have "E" as my mic button. that way i can move forward, strafe, fire, jump.. whatever i need to. and still talk..
And lets be honest.. Hearing Rellik talk is really the best part of playing TF2.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top