Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro question

Strike xX

Famous
Joined
Jan 6, 2008
Messages
453
Well I bought the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for my CPU for the PC I'm building and I would like to know. Would I be fine sticking with the pre-applied thermal compound or should I get AS5? I kind of don't want to buy AS5 but if it's totally needed then I will. The reason I ask is because I'm NOT overclocking my E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz. Usually I see people applying the AS5 if they are doing heavy Ocing.
 
The pre-applied will be good enough.

I did notice my local radioshack started carrying AS5 for about the same price as newegg. You might check there to pick some of if you do decide to replace it, so you don't have to bother with shipping.
 
I'm a Fan of AS5... I use it in all the systems i build... I have about 50 packets of the stuff that comes with HSF's and can say.. that some of it doesnt match AS5 in quality or consistancy.

If you want to do it right the first time. Put AS5 on it.
 
What would be a good way to remove the MX-1 that is Pre Applied on the Cooler? Tissue? There's nothing on the CPU because I haven't installed anything yet.
 
I've got the same CPU Cooler as you just got.
Built my computer this weekend.
The thermal grease on the cooler is more than enough.

If you do want to remove it, use some q-tips and rubbing alcohol. Make sure there's no oils on it, so your CPU doesn't overheat.
 
If you're not overclocking you're fine with the standard thermal compound. Using AS5 will probably set you back about $7-10 for maybe an additional 3-5 degree drop in temperature.
 
I've got the same CPU Cooler as you just got.
Built my computer this weekend.
The thermal grease on the cooler is more than enough.

If you do want to remove it, use some q-tips and rubbing alcohol. Make sure there's no oils on it, so your CPU doesn't overheat.
So pretty much after I wipe it all off, then wipe it again with a cloth to make sure it's COMPLETELY dry?


If you're not overclocking you're fine with the standard thermal compound. Using AS5 will probably set you back about $7-10 for maybe an additional 3-5 degree drop in temperature.
I'm going to get it anyways, I guess I have $12 laying in my PP account so I'll buy it anyways off newegg for $8.95.
 
I have used that exact cooler more than once, and I have used it in a dozen different combinations. I've done the science, done the testing, and I can assure you that you won't see any difference in changing the thermal paste.

The paste applied on that heatsink is pretty good, and when I switched to AS5 I didn't get any change in temps. At all. Idle or load, even after several weeks, it looked identical. The only way I got a drop in temps was by switching to MX-2, and that was only a 2 degree drop.

Besides, Arctic Silver 5 conducts electricity. If you've never applied thermal paste before, you'd be better off starting with some non-conductive stuff.

-Xen
 
I have used that exact cooler more than once, and I have used it in a dozen different combinations. I've done the science, done the testing, and I can assure you that you won't see any difference in changing the thermal paste.

The paste applied on that heatsink is pretty good, and when I switched to AS5 I didn't get any change in temps. At all. Idle or load, even after several weeks, it looked identical. The only way I got a drop in temps was by switching to MX-2, and that was only a 2 degree drop.

Besides, Arctic Silver 5 conducts electricity. If you've never applied thermal paste before, you'd be better off starting with some non-conductive stuff.

-Xen

Well there you have it. He's done the testing ;)

I never had a problem with AS5, because I've been doing it for a while, but i neglected to note that yes.. it does conduct electricity, so be super careful If you decide to put it on. Depending on your HS size.. your gonna go blind(without direction) if you never done it before.. ( I assumed he's done it before. My bad.) So, if you haven't already, use the stuff on the HSF, and keep the AS5 for a rainy day. ;)
 
Also, if you can get the consistency right, you can practice applying thermal paste with flour, water, and vegetable oil. If you don't want to waste a bunch of thermal paste, that is.

Don't judge me. I was broke. =D
 
All you need to do is dip your q-tip into rubbing alcohol.
Then wipe off the top of the CPU and the metal holding it in place. Just make sure you do a thorough job! You don't need to worry too much about drying it, as rubbing alcohol does a good job of evaporating fairly quickly. Just don't dump the bottle on it :) and you should be good.

xenophek, I think some of the real differences are just in the CASE ... not always the CPU Cooler. Although I do know some CPU Coolers are supposed to do MUCH better than this one ... but what's the point really as long as you're not overclocking hugely.
 
keep in mind once ass is borken in , 40 hours of run tim , you will notice a 3-7 c drop in temp , no other paste will do this , so keep in mind even if not over clocking the cooler it is the more life you will get out of it .
 
I think AS5 is always a good way to go, just be sure to apply it to the center of the cpu with a dollop about the size of a small pea or grain of rice. Be careful not to use too much or too little.
 
Last edited:
when I switched to AS5 I didn't get any change in temps. At all. Idle or load, even after several weeks, it looked identical. The only way I got a drop in temps was by switching to MX-2, and that was only a 2 degree drop.

Besides, Arctic Silver 5 conducts electricity. If you've never applied thermal paste before, you'd be better off starting with some non-conductive stuff.

I have also tested this, not to a scientifically rigorous extent, but between my computer with and without AS5 as well as a couple friends who built theirs at the same time. Once AS5 sets, it was noticeably at a lower base temperature than stock thermal paste.

The biggest concern is making sure it is applied properly. You have to use just a tiny amount as Patton said, about the size of a small pea or a grain of rice. The easiest way for me was to spread it around with a new razor blade until there is a paper thin coating across the entire surface (both very important points).

The purpose of the thermal paste is to fill in the microscopic pits at the bottom of your heat sync to create a flat surface to attached to your processor. If you overload the thermal material it actually creates an insulator that doesn't transfer heat as well.

Also, Artic Silver 5 is not electrically conductive, you may be confusing it with the thermal adhesive.
 
My opinion is why skimp on cooling? If you're buying a nice new heatsink that is going to keep your processor running cool, it can't do it's job efficiently if the heat isn't being transfered to it. Why not just spend the extra $8 and drop your temps a few more degrees? Plus in the future if you want to upgrade again, you still have enough left over for about 9 more applications. I would say get it, you won't regret it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

If you really want to read to see if it's good, click the link above. 3300 people and 90% of them say yeah, it's the way to go.

And also, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS on arctic silvers site on how to apply the stuff. It varies from processor to processor in order to get the best results.

Instructions:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
 
Last edited:
Well the As5 I got, i'll store away for another time. I'd rather not try it out and then with my luck destroy my components if it is electrically charged. I'll stick with the pre applied for now.
 
No difference in temp drop using arctic silver? with the last 6 builds I did playing with cpu & gpu cooling we almost always had at least a "measurable" Celsius drop.. in some instances substantial with the vid card in my experience. I realize the "Arctic" brand was quite hyped but regardless.. notable. I do not trust oem thermal paste period, bad past experiences with it.

I wanna give Tuniq TX-2 thermal paste a go with my next build, heard positive feedback with that product. also heard that the Noctua NH-T1 is a good product as well... and so inexpensive!
 
Well the As5 I got, i'll store away for another time. I'd rather not try it out and then with my luck destroy my components if it is electrically charged. I'll stick with the pre applied for now.

Artic Silver 5, the general thermal paste for heat syncs is NOT electrically charged. That's a common misconception, and unless you glob it on your heat sync, which you shouldn't be doing anyway, it's very hard to get any on your motherboard in the first place.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top