Keeping teams even!

Baumer

Famous
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
449
Unlike TF2 and CS:S, DOD:S does not auto balance teams when players leave. We, as members, need to keep the teams as even as possible.

When you should switch teams:
- When you join a server and the teams are 15v16, do not join the team with 16, even though it allows you.
- When teams are off by 2 or more players, and you have not been on the team very long, you need to do us all a favor and move over to the outnumbered team.

When you should NOT switch teams:
- Don't worry about it if the teams are off by 1 person.
- If the teams are off by 2, but someone is joining, wait to make sure they join the team with fewer players.
- Just to be with your "buddy", while unbalancing the teams in the process. (I like playing with Cpt. Kirk just as much as the next guy, but I will join the allies til there is an available spot on Axis.)

Why I am posting this:
- I don't like spending time in game balancing teams with admin powers, just because people are being stubborn.
- I don't like switching teams when I have spent time helping my team advance.
- I don't like seeing guests on our servers complain about unbalanced teams.
- A couple months ago a council member pulled us into vent for this reason. They basically said "No team should EVER have 17 players, and we, as members, need to fix the problem by switching teams."

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Suicide Baumer
 
srsly seeing someone join the team with more players instead of the one with less makes me >.<
 
I always let the server pick my team. By some strange coincidence that means i always join the team with the fewest players. Ain't it amazing?
 
Very well said, all though I've taken notice that the teams in eGO servers are quickly evened most of the time by admins or players that want to be fair.
 
Can't you get the server to balance them????

I know a lot of servers where you have no choice, you go to the one with less players.

Then I know of others where an auto team balance occurs after a certain period of imbalances, I believe based on respawns.
 
We do not have an autobalancing plugin on the DoD servers.

Autobalance is an incredibly difficult thing to do properly as it is; you have to consider K/D ratios, flag caps, etc.; it's more than just moving people around to make the numbers statistically even out. I believe that Agent86's TF2 plugin actually considers many of these variables and balances based on that, rather than on numbers. Otherwise, "balanced" could be 16 eGOs versus 16 pubbers; it likely won't be a fair fight (or at least tends not to be).

We have recently been using the "Slayr Rule" for uneven teams in FULL servers; if the difference is greater than 3, immediate action is needed. Otherwise, the server will statistically even out very quickly, and it isn't a huge deal, regardless of how many people are screaming "teams" every time there's a difference of 2. This isn't CS:S; when you die, you respawn, so 2 isn't a problem. I'm not going to admin a difference of 2; it's going to even itself out. For 3, I'll most likely switch myself or ask somebody to join me, but 4 is a serious problem.

Even so, we do NOT move people to balance out teams.
 
i agree with you. It is annoying when people uneven teams, because i have to change teams to even them all the time. lol
 
honestly, it's not that big of a deal. most of the time, teams even up fairly quickly as people join and leave all the time. it's impossible for teams to be 16vs16 perfectly at all times.

if the teams are a bit uneven (1 or 2 players) wait a bit and let everyone join from spec. if it's 3 or more players, ask kindly for people to switch. the majority of the time, they will, or even better, you switch yourself.
 
We do not have an autobalancing plugin on the DoD servers.

Autobalance is an incredibly difficult thing to do properly as it is; you have to consider K/D ratios, flag caps, etc.; it's more than just moving people around to make the numbers statistically even out. I believe that Agent86's TF2 plugin actually considers many of these variables and balances based on that, rather than on numbers. Otherwise, "balanced" could be 16 eGOs versus 16 pubbers; it likely won't be a fair fight (or at least tends not to be).

We have recently been using the "Slayr Rule" for uneven teams in FULL servers; if the difference is greater than 3, immediate action is needed. Otherwise, the server will statistically even out very quickly, and it isn't a huge deal, regardless of how many people are screaming "teams" every time there's a difference of 2. This isn't CS:S; when you die, you respawn, so 2 isn't a problem. I'm not going to admin a difference of 2; it's going to even itself out. For 3, I'll most likely switch myself or ask somebody to join me, but 4 is a serious problem.

Even so, we do NOT move people to balance out teams.

exactly what i do the teams usally even them self out.. but if its like 6 vs 12 then of course..

unless ronpaul or spary is on ther side... LOL
 
Last edited:
When playing I will let the teams get two out of balance before I request team balance, you see I feel that as this is a real life game and in life things aren't fair we have to do our best to proceed. Am I being unfair? Well I am often on the team which is short and I play harder to win. I am sure that the commander's during ww2 did not even up the teams! Go for it guy's and enjoy the game and let the other player's see you are enjoying it.
 
I will always move to the smaller team if there's a big split

unless I have a prime MG spot ;-)
 
Usually they stay even, the problem I've seen is when one team is getting curbstomped you get traitors. You know, those people who will all switch to the winning team, so that they don't lose.

As for a plugin, can't you simply make it so that when they join, they have to go to the empty team??? My home server (6th rb) doesn't have an autobalance, but once in game, you can't switch to unbalance by more than 1. Only people quitting has an effect on the teams. Surely something like that could be implemented????

I just don't like when I'm in the server, and an admin tells us to even teams because frankly that admin could. Or an e, but it always seems to end up that I just do it. Where I come from, we don't expect the pubbers to be held to the same standards, so usually one of us switches.
 
honestly, it's still not that big of a deal. no plugin needed, really. It's quite simple. if a team is down by 1 or 2 people, JUST WAIT! Let the spectators join up and the teams should even themselves out.

If a team gets down by 3 or more, then politely ask for teams to be even or just switch over yourself. In DoD:s, people come and go frequently. It's not a problem. Moreover, it's IMPOSSIBLE to keep the teams perfectly even at 16vs16. So just be patient, wait until specs join, and if it becomes 3 or more, then politely ask for the teams to be balanced.
 
Usually they stay even, the problem I've seen is when one team is getting curbstomped you get traitors. You know, those people who will all switch to the winning team, so that they don't lose.

As for a plugin, can't you simply make it so that when they join, they have to go to the empty team??? My home server (6th rb) doesn't have an autobalance, but once in game, you can't switch to unbalance by more than 1. Only people quitting has an effect on the teams. Surely something like that could be implemented????

I just don't like when I'm in the server, and an admin tells us to even teams because frankly that admin could. Or an e, but it always seems to end up that I just do it. Where I come from, we don't expect the pubbers to be held to the same standards, so usually one of us switches.

Our servers work the same way yours do. We make it so that you can only join a team if they have one or zero players more than the other team. For example, you cannot join an Axis team with 17 players if the Allies have 15. You can't join an Axis team if they have 16 and Allies have 15. The differential is 1. The command is
Code:
mp_limitteams 1
which is set on our servers.

The problem is teams do get "curbstomped" and it forces players to quit. Usually it's the allies and usually they lose like 3-4 people, thus creating the imbalance. In that case, there is no way to balance the teams without asking people to, hence our dilemma.

I think C-Whit is right, this usually isn't a problem because of late-to-join spectators and the flow of the game. The only problem I have with balancing teams is the manner in which they're balanced. My gripe is documented on these forums, but basically I don't like seeing Axis teams balancing the Allies by sending over their talentless lot. I always felt like at least on Kalt the Allies struggle enough and there are far, far too few people (members included) willing to switch to the Allies and join a losing cause. This is wrong. It should absolutely be the responsibility of our members to be the first volunteers when it comes time to balancing teams.
 
honestly, it's still not that big of a deal. no plugin needed, really. It's quite simple. if a team is down by 1 or 2 people, JUST WAIT! Let the spectators join up and the teams should even themselves out.

If a team gets down by 3 or more, then politely ask for teams to be even or just switch over yourself. In DoD:s, people come and go frequently. It's not a problem. Moreover, it's IMPOSSIBLE to keep the teams perfectly even at 16vs16. So just be patient, wait until specs join, and if it becomes 3 or more, then politely ask for the teams to be balanced.

i feel the same way... not really that big of a deal, teams always even themselfs out
 

Latest posts

Back
Top