LOOKING FOR 64bit OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUNTED

Rookie
Joined
Aug 30, 2009
Messages
96
Hey if anyone out there has an old copy of 64bix windows XP please let me know I would be glad to take it off your hands. :P Please no VISTA EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
 
I guess if you don't mind theft or viruses or who knows what, there is torrents of hacked windows 7 everywhere, I would not recommend using it.
 
Yea dont want any hacked OS's ;) BC2 and my other games work on Ubuntu?

With some tweaking.

If you would crap your pants if you were faced with a terminal, Ubuntu is not for you.
 
There is wine which is a windows emulator.. It might. but honestly by the time you run ubuntu and then wine and then a graphics intensive program, your probably ahead of the game with a good ole copy of 32 bit windows xp. But it dont cost a dime to try it. Im kinda curious myself. I have heard wine has gotten a bit more robust, so who knows. Ubuntu is probably the most user friendly and graphical version of linux to date. It doesn't really have that may terminals nor will you need one unless you've got problems. I took an old laptop with 1 gig of memory that was bogging down under windows, popped in ubuntu and its now one of the fastest pc's in my house. Ubuntu is like the perfect OS for people that do not game and spend most of their time on the pc, on the internet. You can even burn it to a cd, and run it from that before installing a single thing on your pc to see if its for you or not.
 
There is wine which is a windows emulator.. It might. but honestly by the time you run ubuntu and then wine and then a graphics intensive program, your probably ahead of the game with a good ole copy of 32 bit windows xp. But it dont cost a dime to try it. Im kinda curious myself. I have heard wine has gotten a bit more robust, so who knows. Ubuntu is probably the most user friendly and graphical version of linux to date. It doesn't really have that may terminals nor will you need one unless you've got problems. I took an old laptop with 1 gig of memory that was bogging down under windows, popped in ubuntu and its now one of the fastest pc's in my house. Ubuntu is like the perfect OS for people that do not game and spend most of their time on the pc, on the internet. You can even burn it to a cd, and run it from that before installing a single thing on your pc to see if its for you or not.

WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. It's a compatibility layer. There's a difference.

BC2 runs on Wine, and quite a few other games do, as well.

I'd say Ubuntu is better for more than just web browsing. That goes to Joli-OS, for sure. I'd say it's a great stepping stone for Linux, as it is very user friendly, but you can still learn a lot. The only real major issue is the lack of native Linux titles. It can do pretty much everything Windows can do, most of which can be done for less than a penny, and being much easier to set up (imo). Plus, it is waaay less resource heavy. And more secure.

Windows XP 64 is NOTORIOUSLY unstable.

This.
 
WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. It's a compatibility layer. There's a difference.

BC2 runs on Wine, and quite a few other games do, as well.

I'd say Ubuntu is better for more than just web browsing. That goes to Joli-OS, for sure. I'd say it's a great stepping stone for Linux, as it is very user friendly, but you can still learn a lot. The only real major issue is the lack of native Linux titles. It can do pretty much everything Windows can do, most of which can be done for less than a penny, and being much easier to set up (imo). Plus, it is waaay less resource heavy. And more secure.



This.
But there is something to keep in mind...

Wine does NOT work with PunkBuster enabled games/servers.
(I'm not sure about VAC though...)
 
Poor choice of words, My main point I was trying to convey was that with Wine, it's possible to run "windows" programs. I hope that much was clear as that was the important point.
The avg user doesn't care to know how it works, just if it works.

Ubuntu will run virtually every linux program ever made, not all will have an installer, but it should still run it. I don't think there is a shortage of of native software for it at all. Heck it comes with all the programs that 90% of the avg user will need installed by default, the rest they can download and install automatically through the software center located in the application folder.
 
Last edited:
Native Linux titles, as is native Linux games. Other than that, I'd go ahead and say it's a damn fine OS for everyone.
 
Yea, the native game titles we won't see, until there is a ten fold increase in users that are likely to buy game titles, right now its only about 1% of the desktop users.

Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distro in use today for good reason, its the most user friendly and supports most pc's hardware right out of the box.

My 13 yr old daughter has been using it for 2 years. It's no more difficult to use than any other o/s.

I've been thinking about this for the last 2 years, Ubuntu may very well be the Microsoft Killer. I urge everyone to at least try it, I bet you see an improvement in the performance of your pc. I'm going to install wine on her laptop and throw a game title or two at it and see how it does.

btw- Not that it matters, and is not germane to the OP request, but the Wine name initially stood for Window Emulator.

To learn more about Ubuntu go here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(operating_system)
 
Yeah. If that WGX is what Microsoft is aiming for with the next OS, then I think Ubuntu/other Linux distros will get major notice.

Speaking of Linux titles, Humble Indie Bundle has some really fun games out for Linux! I am so buying that!

It's no more difficult than Windows, I'd agree with that. I'd actually go as far as to say it's easier. Why? Package Managers. In Ubuntu, you have the Software Center (where everything is free, and all you do is click Install). In Windows, you have yourself. You have to scour the internet for the most up to date version, and hope that it's free.

Also, right from Wine's website-
When users think of emulators, they think of programs like Dosbox or zsnes. These applications run as virtual machines and are slow, having to emulate each processor instruction. Wine does not do any CPU emulation - hence the name "Wine Is Not an Emulator."
Source.

I would seriously consider anyone who browses this forum to try Ubuntu, at least.
 
It's no more difficult than Windows, I'd agree with that. I'd actually go as far as to say it's easier.

Well until theres a problem with a hardware install, most drivers have point and click windows installers, with Ubuntu that is not always the case, it's not necessarily hard, but a bit more technical expertise is required to rectify issues when there is a problem.


JustPie,
What kind of penalty on FPS does Wine have? 5%=!0%? How's the stability? Truth is, I'd be using it on my main pc if I thought I could run all my games.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top