Why eGO is a good place to learn

GreenTeaPanda

Famous
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
553
So I have been shifting through the rules and taking a look at the ban contests lately and I have begun to wonder how on earth can people get themselves banned when they were and e and when they knew (or should have known) the rules. But then I thought 'Oh they are e's, they are learning'. This then lead to me thinking about how good eGO as a base for development in real life.

And so begins my rant:

We all know the rules (at least I hope so) and the rules reflect upon real life believe it or not. While we may not always listen to our parents and our peers outside of the digital world, eGO is like your school teacher; you screw up we punish you and you learn. If your confused about rules you can ask anyone and they will tell you. So I guess you all are informed relatively well.

Anyways, I believe that fantasies and the un-real worlds reflect reality. I believe that this is the case with eGO. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that it is better to learn your lesson in eGO rather than learn it in the real world where the consequences are much more drastic.

For example, I joined eGO a little less than a year ago (give or take a few months) and I swore (not on mic though). But just a couple of days ago. I noticed that I didn't like to swear and that I felt disgusted when I heard someone swear. We all make mistakes. We lie and we cheat. We make all these bad decisions but eGO is such a good way to learn away those habits and in reality it will show.

I would like everyone to appreciate for your membership in the clan because you guys are all given a great opportunity to change your reality with eGO. Its not 'learn from your mistakes' but 'learn from the mistakes of others'. Learn from your mistakes but not actually have those mistakes have any weight in reality. But of course you should also learn from the mistakes of others and not your own.

I know that many of you know that people leave eGO for various reasons. But those reasons are for personal failures that they have. Don't allow yourself to leave eGO and leave great opportunity to learn and change your reality.

This message is not about trying to make you guys stay in eGO but rather to tell you guys that eGO is a place where you can grow maturely safely without any real life consequences. Don't waste your time when you guys are in eGO. Take as much time as you can to learn and grow.

Good luck guys!

PS: I'm probably going to edit this a little bit more later on.
 
TFQ.

Sometimes you just need the opportunity to be in an environment that promotes respect to appreciate the value of respect.

A toast to Edge Gamers and a tip of the old stein to GreenTeaPanda.
 
Very true greentea. In r/l I'm that one friend you have that swears constantly or always says something that makes you go wow ( just ask awptimus or tahoe about me and bunnies ) however since I joined eGO even in real life or out of game I've drastically cut back on what I say and put more thought into my choice of words.
 
So I have been shifting through the rules and taking a look at the ban contests lately and I have begun to wonder how on earth can people get themselves banned when they were and e and when they knew (or should have known) the rules. But then I thought 'Oh they are e's, they are learning'. This then lead to me thinking about how good eGO as a base for development in real life.

And so begins my rant:

We all know the rules (at least I hope so) and the rules reflect upon real life believe it or not. While we may not always listen to our parents and our peers outside of the digital world, eGO is like your school teacher; you screw up we punish you and you learn. If your confused about rules you can ask anyone and they will tell you. So I guess you all are informed relatively well.

Anyways, I believe that fantasies and the un-real worlds reflect reality. I believe that this is the case with eGO. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that it is better to learn your lesson in eGO rather than learn it in the real world where the consequences are much more drastic.

For example, I joined eGO a little less than a year ago (give or take a few months) and I swore (not on mic though). But just a couple of days ago. I noticed that I didn't like to swear and that I felt disgusted when I heard someone swear. We all make mistakes. We lie and we cheat. We make all these bad decisions but eGO is such a good way to learn away those habits and in reality it will show.

I would like everyone to appreciate for your membership in the clan because you guys are all given a great opportunity to change your reality with eGO. Its not 'learn from your mistakes' but 'learn from the mistakes of others'. Learn from your mistakes but not actually have those mistakes have any weight in reality. But of course you should also learn from the mistakes of others and not your own.

I know that many of you know that people leave eGO for various reasons. But those reasons are for personal failures that they have. Don't allow yourself to leave eGO and leave great opportunity to learn and change your reality.

This message is not about trying to make you guys stay in eGO but rather to tell you guys that eGO is a place where you can grow maturely safely without any real life consequences. Don't waste your time when you guys are in eGO. Take as much time as you can to learn and grow.

Good luck guys!

PS: I'm probably going to edit this a little bit more later on.

wow panda!!! that was a good read... thank you for posting this... I think some times we forget why we joined in the first place.... thank you for that awesome reminder... Your brother In CSS
ICE
 
+1 mate, i havnt been here long but i already stopped swearing etc. (probaly because i play that much xD) but even on css and vent places i am allowed to i dont swear AT all and nearly totally sstopped in real life!! pretty awsome for some one who used to swear nearly EVERY sentance xD
 
thats why i love you greentea. absolutely true. i started here without cussing, because i didnt like to already a year ago, so i think ok. (but the occasional one here and there is ok XD). after staying here for a year, i found myself cuss less upon the little i already do. i have also learned more about computers and many other things because of the members here.

i can honestly say, i have learned a lot here.
 
Internet gaming groups generally contain the failures of society. It is nice that we do better.
 
oh wow, this was actually worth the read, this is exactly how i have felt for a long time i just could never put it into words, great job greentea
 
tom bombadil
amazing name! wooot love it

oh right the post was good too and all that jazz
 
absolutely right, at edge gamers we are mature, and if you are mature here it will help reflect in real life.
 
Great post. Also, for myself, a major reality check. I've been a member of the clan for not even a week yet and I think that joining this clan was one of the best things I could have done for my life (I say that because my life right now is...."complicated"). I think I will learn a lot. Gaming, computers, people, self characteristics, anything.

Thanks......
I'm still a noob :)
 
I think I'm on a roll

Anyways, I just think that its kind of interesting to see how you unconsciously make yourself better as a person in game and in life. I think that's because of the fact that you are talking to people and listening to people talk which makes a strong connection that says "Oh this person is human too and is just like my friends/teachers/parents/siblings". Yes the voice definitely crosses the barrier that is created in virtual reality where avatars are suppose to represent people but our mind sees them as just objects and AIs. But with voice communication, connection is made and barriers are broken.

I think that this is crucial to why there is a strong learning curve. Its because you don't just see text but you hear people.

I think this means that you all should go in vent more and get mics and talk more in-game.
Even though it is virtual reality, you can still become "crazy" if you don't have the right kind of human interaction.
 
I think I'm on a roll

Anyways, I just think that its kind of interesting to see how you unconsciously make yourself better as a person in game and in life. I think that's because of the fact that you are talking to people and listening to people talk which makes a strong connection that says "Oh this person is human too and is just like my friends/teachers/parents/siblings". Yes the voice definitely crosses the barrier that is created in virtual reality where avatars are suppose to represent people but our mind sees them as just objects and AIs. But with voice communication, connection is made and barriers are broken.

I think that this is crucial to why there is a strong learning curve. Its because you don't just see text but you hear people.

I think this means that you all should go in vent more and get mics and talk more in-game.
Even though it is virtual reality, you can still become "crazy" if you don't have the right kind of human interaction.

I hear that.... as soon as I started playing.. i was like"i need to get a mic!!!!!"
had one for 7 months now...

Ps. GreenTea i think your on a roll to...
 
Most definitely who you interact with influences how you act with people in general and more importantly people you are meeting for the first time. Great post and great job eGO.
 
I should run for presidency.

Anyways, no discussion? Only agreement?

One of my philosophies is to question everything. So please criticism if you will.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top