why all the rap hate?

It is in all due respect some sort of personal expression and I can appreciate that.. however for me personally I find it annoying and redundant. Ehh.. not for everyone... lol, Im sure not "every" eGO member hates it, such a strong word.. hehe.
 
But rap isn't music. There are very little instruments involved, its reciting poetry to a beat.

That logic doesn't hold up very well.

According to that, you would have to define the exact amount of instruments a song would need to be music. It also claims that orchestral music is "more music" because it generally has a much higher volume of instruments.

Rap/Hip-hop usually offers more instrumentation than you give it credit, too. For example, "Top Back" by Alias Unknown made it onto Rock Band Network featuring a track for all four instruments- it has vocals, a drumkit, I'm pretty sure a bass guitar, and the electric guitar track instead covers the flute and what I'm pretty sure is a synth.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgHF1Y4D_o[/ame]
 
the only rap i like is not mainstream. i Prefer Beastie boys and Nerd core stuff (Mc Frontalot, Chris and all the other random ones)
 
the only rap i like is not mainstream. i Prefer Beastie boys and Nerd core stuff (Mc Frontalot, Chris and all the other random ones)

I think it's the second line in your sig which is kinda what Noise964 was getting at with the OP, though.
 
But rap isn't music. There are very little instruments involved, its reciting poetry to a beat.

-.- ima go off.

fine whats your definition of "music". And BTW I make beats all the time, there are a lot of different sounds that go into making a beat.
 
My point wasn't that More Instruments = More Music.

I already posted how I respect the artists that do incorporate and acknowledge the existence of the people playing the instruments.

-.- ima go off.

fine whats your definition of "music". And BTW I make beats all the time, there are a lot of different sounds that go into making a beat.

I make beats all the time too, but I still don't consider this very traditional. It is fun, and offers an interesting sound, it isn't what I consider music. I consider music as a classic 4 instrument system, Drums, Bass, Guitar, and Vocals. In some cases, vocals are absent usually substituted by horns.

Maybe I'm just to into Jazz and Classic Rock, but I consider most Mainstream rap artists, to just be poets about female dogs and gardening tools. That being said, I do respect (I don't actively listen to) some rap, Beastie Boys, Eminem, Jay-Z, etc.
 
I hate rap

1. Most lyrics are terrible
2. beats and sounds are horrible
3. almost every rap is similar to another rappers rap
4. they walk with their pants on the ground pants on the ground lookin like fools with their pants on the ground.
 
I hate rap

1. Most lyrics are terrible
2. beats and sounds are horrible
3. almost every rap is similar to another rappers rap
4. they walk with their pants on the ground pants on the ground lookin like fools with their pants on the ground.

1. Listen to CAGE. His lyrics are as deep as any other music I listen to.
2. Beats and sounds, I will give you $100 if you can make beats/sounds to a professional level.
3. Listen to CAGE again, then listen to Lil Wayne/T-pain.
4. I will actually agree with this one.
 
There ain't nothing wrong with Rap....people just don't like it. I prefer Hard Rock over anything, so I wouldn't really be speaking up for Rap.

That and probably because most Rap "music" has come off a sort of....bad way...with all the swearing and what not.
 
Yes it's a flame post against Metal. It was aimed in your general direction my fault. My point still stands. And to the guy that said i was trolling, Lol at you. I wasn't trolling because if that was true then i would continue to troll after every thread.
 
Yes it's a flame post against Metal. It was aimed in your general direction my fault. My point still stands. And to the guy that said i was trolling, Lol at you. I wasn't trolling because if that was true then i would continue to troll after every thread.

Whether or not you'd consider yourself trolling, you can't look back at that post and see how it's quite unbecoming of an eG to say?
 
Yes it's a flame post against Metal. It was aimed in your general direction my fault. My point still stands. And to the guy that said i was trolling, Lol at you. I wasn't trolling because if that was true then i would continue to troll after every thread.

Your peculiar choice of expressions make clear that your intentions are not the best. Calling for a flame war, telling people to "Eat it" is not, precisely, proper of an eG member.
Just because you can cast your opinion, does not grant you the right to offend others. And just because you are posting your flaming opinion on the forums of a mature gaming community does not make it mature.

On the other hand, because of this derailing, this thread will probably be locked.
 
Yes it's a flame post against Metal. It was aimed in your general direction my fault. My point still stands. And to the guy that said i was trolling, Lol at you. I wasn't trolling because if that was true then i would continue to troll after every thread.

I dislike rap, yet I don't flame about it. Be mature. That's what eGO's all about.
 
I don't even know how rap can be considered as "music". Music needs to have musical notes, chords, and tone. Rap is just talking with a beat and usually monotone. The heart and soul of the lyrics really speaks out when there are musical notes, not just yelling to a beat. A lot of people do not like monotone thats for sure. Not to mention all of the swear words that rappers abuse. They really use them too much and isn't needed.



/thread ;)
 
I used to think rap was bad. Until i started listening to mid 90's hip hop. By that point in time I also realized that there is good stuff in every genre of music. I like some metal, i like some rap, alt rock, folk and any other genre i come across.
 
I used to think rap was bad. Until i started listening to mid 90's hip hop. By that point in time I also realized that there is good stuff in every genre of music. I like some metal, i like some rap, alt rock, folk and any other genre i come across.

Nuggets of wisdom right here.
 
I hate rap. Really hate it. It's music in its most simplistic form, the only variation is in the rhythm, only one of many key elements of music. It's like if a music was perfectly written so that the notes were good, and a band played the notes right, but at all the wrong volumes and all the wrong timing.

My point is not entirely some personal hate on rap, I'm using what I know about music to say that most rap is bad music.

Reflecting on this makes me realize how hard jazz artists and classical composers actually worked in comparison to rappers.

[Edit]
The non-sidetracking version:
Rap is extremely simple music. That's why.
 
Last edited:
First note. If you are not willing to listen to some non mainstream hip hop gangster rap or whatever, then you are giving other forms of rap a chance. It would be like me saying I hate rock because I heard a couple emo/screaming bands. Success breeds hatred.

Second, if Rap is not music, then any music with choruses repeated elements is not music.

--Anecdote time--

I used to 'hate' rap, because all I knew of it was the mainstream gangster rap. I also 'hated' it because surprisingly it is easy to follow bandwagon hate. But around 2 and a half years ago I got into nerdcore (more specifically the Adventures of Duane and BrandO).

Strong Language warning
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAdventuresOfDnB#p/u/23/QUEO9Mfmn4M

I said to myself that it is different, separate from rap a special case. I then decided perhaps I am being too cynical, not looking far enough. So I asked myself what about rap I didn't like. It typically boiled down lyrics and subject matter. Really If I couldn't stand repeated elements in a song then how could I enjoy any music. Shoot How could I like and video game music. The Overworld theme from Supermario is a most 45 sec long but I could listen to it over and over. A catchy beat is great, distinguishable base lines and drums beats are really fun to listen to. To use my best example, Back in Black by AC DC, I don't think of the solos in the song I think of the chorus parts. So I decided to give rap more of chance.

I did begin to notice the stuff that had kept me away when looking for good hip hop. I eventually stumbled upon the Flobots. Their music is rap, but it isn't the mainstream, and it has a message (whether or not you agree is not the point). I really would like for all the rap haters to listen to these couple of songs. If yous till hate all rap then it is you opinion.

EDIT: More specifically anyone who says rap isn't music just listen to these songs and consider why they aren't music.

The first selection is what I am using as probably the best 'I really hope to get people to at least see the light at the end of the tunnel.'
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ZzaXxK_L0[/ame]

The second is my personal favorite and I want to make a frag video of it (but that is of no consequence).
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUX0y4EptA[/ame]

--/Anecdote time--

Some forms of music aren't for everyone. I know a lot of people who hate Country music. They don't go around saying country is not music simply because the way it sounds. They understand the artistic talent required to make country. I would at least hope that you understand these "musicless" rapper do have musical talent. I mean if they are rolling the dough... they are doing something right.

tl;dr
1st you aren't contributing much by not evaluating others posts

2nd Music in general is a game of opinions. You cannot simply something isn't music because it doesn't appeal to you

3rd A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

oh wait...
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top