- Joined
- Jul 16, 2008
- Messages
- 1,113
Messieurs and Mesdames of the Division Leadership, Councilman Sloppie, Admins, distinguished guests, and fellow Edgegamers:
My promise to JohnT requires that from time to time, I AutoDMC shall give to the forums information about the state of Turbine. For over a year, I have been negligent of my duties.
At the North Texas Edgegamers Meet and Greet I made a promise to JohnT that if Edgegamers were to host a Turbine server I would take it as my duty to ensure that it was number one in Edgegamers, and number one in the world.
A year ago, Turbine hit number one on the Edgegamers server list; it was impossible to get a slot during peak hours. Overflow would spill into Valvemaps and vote for Turbine.
However, these times have past. Turbine has suffered some crippling blows. It's IP has changed at least once, losing it's stats. Server glitches made playing the map hit and miss, and it's set to 24 players, making it that much harder to rake in the epic points.
Turbine Lovers Unite
However, I'm back and Turbine is coming with me. But I'll need the help of every Turbine Lover here in Edgegamers to make it happen.
1) Join the Turbine Lovers Unite!!! Edgegamers group
Turbine Lovers Unite is a great way for... Turbine lovers to... unite. Knowing who around us are Turbine Lovers is a good start to getting a core of activity on the server.
2) Bite the bullet and go all Yossarian over Turbine
For those who haven't read Catch-22 (you should), Yossarian was one of the few sane pilots who just kept doing the bomber flights even though there was nothing in it for him.
This is what we need to do. The end goal is to have a full Turbine 24/7. The sort term goal is to run laps on an empty server as a Scout.
Turbine is in a Catch-22: It's empty because nobody knows it's been fixed and rebooted. Nobody knows it's been fixed and rebooted because it's empty. Even 2 or 3 people on the server can boost it enough to get more players in; all it takes are a few and BAM! Full server.
But it takes a dedicated few who don't mind playing Scout Vs. Scout for a few minutes.
3) Add me to friends
I'm lonely.
4) Even when you're not planning to Turbine, Turbine.
So you get on to play some Blackmesa and it's full? Join Turbine and set your "autojoin" to Blackmesa. You can still play the map you want, while helping Turbine. Your +1 might be what's needed to make Turbine jump into the first screen or two on the server browser.
You can also do this even when your preferred server isn't full. Some days I just don't want to Turbine. I want to play in Mann Manor, or maybe I've been hit to hard on the head and want to play some Teufort. Even on those days, 10-15 minutes on Turbine before you play could make all the difference in the world.
Are you with me, friends?
It's going to be a slog; with only 24 player slots, in order to make first place again we'll need to keep the server packed 24/7. No, it's not going to be easy or fast, but we Turbine Lovers can do it. We just need to unite and do it!
Expect to see more Turbine goodness as we go forward. For now, let's make Turbine #1! Who's with me?!
My promise to JohnT requires that from time to time, I AutoDMC shall give to the forums information about the state of Turbine. For over a year, I have been negligent of my duties.
At the North Texas Edgegamers Meet and Greet I made a promise to JohnT that if Edgegamers were to host a Turbine server I would take it as my duty to ensure that it was number one in Edgegamers, and number one in the world.
A year ago, Turbine hit number one on the Edgegamers server list; it was impossible to get a slot during peak hours. Overflow would spill into Valvemaps and vote for Turbine.
However, these times have past. Turbine has suffered some crippling blows. It's IP has changed at least once, losing it's stats. Server glitches made playing the map hit and miss, and it's set to 24 players, making it that much harder to rake in the epic points.
Turbine Lovers Unite
However, I'm back and Turbine is coming with me. But I'll need the help of every Turbine Lover here in Edgegamers to make it happen.
1) Join the Turbine Lovers Unite!!! Edgegamers group
Turbine Lovers Unite is a great way for... Turbine lovers to... unite. Knowing who around us are Turbine Lovers is a good start to getting a core of activity on the server.
2) Bite the bullet and go all Yossarian over Turbine
For those who haven't read Catch-22 (you should), Yossarian was one of the few sane pilots who just kept doing the bomber flights even though there was nothing in it for him.
This is what we need to do. The end goal is to have a full Turbine 24/7. The sort term goal is to run laps on an empty server as a Scout.
Turbine is in a Catch-22: It's empty because nobody knows it's been fixed and rebooted. Nobody knows it's been fixed and rebooted because it's empty. Even 2 or 3 people on the server can boost it enough to get more players in; all it takes are a few and BAM! Full server.
But it takes a dedicated few who don't mind playing Scout Vs. Scout for a few minutes.
3) Add me to friends
I'm lonely.
4) Even when you're not planning to Turbine, Turbine.
So you get on to play some Blackmesa and it's full? Join Turbine and set your "autojoin" to Blackmesa. You can still play the map you want, while helping Turbine. Your +1 might be what's needed to make Turbine jump into the first screen or two on the server browser.
You can also do this even when your preferred server isn't full. Some days I just don't want to Turbine. I want to play in Mann Manor, or maybe I've been hit to hard on the head and want to play some Teufort. Even on those days, 10-15 minutes on Turbine before you play could make all the difference in the world.
Are you with me, friends?
It's going to be a slog; with only 24 player slots, in order to make first place again we'll need to keep the server packed 24/7. No, it's not going to be easy or fast, but we Turbine Lovers can do it. We just need to unite and do it!
Expect to see more Turbine goodness as we go forward. For now, let's make Turbine #1! Who's with me?!
Last edited:























