So...I guess I'm the one at fault here, because I'm the person that argued to NOT close this and let it run its course, as an experiment. The hope was that this frustration would manifest itself in the form of positive ideas and feedback, and it "sort of" has. But at the same time, it's gone off on tangents and led to
ad hominem attacks.
I'd like to comment on a few themes I notice, since I've been watching this thread from the very beginning:
(CUE "STATE OF THE DIVISION, FEBRUARY EDITION, WALL OF TEXT")
Sorry, I don't have a pretty crayon image drawn up
1.) We have our hands tied just as much as you do with regards to these server issues. As many have stated, we're working to resolve this specific problem for better day-to-day upkeep. What you see us doing typically is the result of a lot of behind-the-scenes jockeying to get things accomplished. Let me give you an example: We have multiple support requests in for the servers, but because of a general backlog, we can get stuck.
Takeaway point from this: "Rome wasn't built in a day, neither was eGO, we just need time to accomplish things."
2.) General comments about changing server providers: We do not forsee this happening anytime in the near future, so please quit suggesting this as a solution. The last thing I want is our provider to log into here and see 20 people yelling that his work "isn't good enough." Spray has some thoughts on what may be causing some of our problems, and we hope to get the tools we need to start analyzing this very soon.
3.) Server plugin complaints: We've developed something akin to a strategic plan for the future, and touchup work is expected on these, including cleanup/removal of conflicting plugins.
4.) Kalt vs Argentan: I know, the big elephant in the room that everyone has an opinion on, and that opinion is generally that we're a bunch of incompetent fools that don't listen to members. We tried an experiment, and it hasn't worked out as we hoped. But to be perfectly honest, what upsets me here is the sentiment I feel when reading this thread: We could have had a "start Argentan!" event every day, and some people wouldn't go just to spite us and prove us wrong. I'd like to thank everyone who's stepped up and done their part to try and help out with Argentan, though. The sad thing is that we've been discussing solutions to this problem in private a lot recently, and with all these polarizing comments, it almost makes me not want to bother.
5.) Censorship: This is the one that angers me the most. Not "upsets", or "bothers", "angers". For someone just looking at threads we closed for one reason or another, it might look a little like censorship. Why were they closed? Because they were the n-th time that the Kalt vs Argentan debate was brought up, after many, many requests to stop that, and we did our best to talk to everyone in Vent to clear up the issues as they were closed.
You don't realize that it took a VERY long time to get new passwords rolled out for our control systems the last time we needed it done. You don't realize that even if we did go ahead with a big server change request right now, it would need to be cleared by the right people and then implemented and troubleshooted. And you certainly don't realize that the ETA for support is entirely dependent on current backlog. It's no different from any IT department in the world, only this one is held back a little more by the fact that it's a VOLUNTEER ORGANIZATION. Nobody here gets paid, and so it would be unreasonable to expect things to get done immediately, in all honesty. Everyone does the best we can.
If everyone REALLY wants something to gripe about, we could always end Realism in eGO.
That's right, I actually said it. Do I intend for this to happen? No. But it should help put the scale of things into perspective a little. We went through a lot to get that dedicated realism mod set up (as well as a lot of other things that didn't quite pan out, in private), and we get 60 people showing up once a week for it. But on the other six days of the week, many want to throw stones instead, so long as the target isn't Realism...come on already. There's a huge difference between closing a few threads and closing Realism, and the way some people have argued in here, I feel as though they think the latter has occurred.
I expect that this will be the end of the back-and-forth bickering, because if it goes on any further than this, I'm going to close this thread for good. Keep in mind that all you say and do on these forums is visible to all. You're always welcome to come and find either myself or another member of Leadership in Ventrilo to talk if you want to; we'd be more than happy to sit down with you when possible. There's nothing wrong with talking in Vent and discussing things, but the verbal barrage needs to end here. I'll close with a quote from GardenGroveVW (slightly edited):
GardenGroveVW said:
TALK IT OUT LIKE MEN. DONT MAKE A NEWS POST ABOUT IT.
Come on guys, we're better than this. As for our end, we appreciate the feedback and are doing our best to get things resolved; hopefully we will have some results within the next week or two, with some luck.