Installing Windows 7

Skattles

Famous
Joined
May 17, 2010
Messages
542
I have a PC running vista and have windows 7 sitting around. Is installing it as easy as just putting in the W7 CD to install it or do I have to reformat the partition first? And will W7 be able to find all the drivers needed?

Thanks for the Help.
 
You can reformat it if you want, but the upgrade is fairly painless in my experience. Windows 7 has been very good with drivers so far, but YMMV depending on your hardware.
 
I have a PC running vista and have windows 7 sitting around. Is installing it as easy as just putting in the W7 CD to install it or do I have to reformat the partition first? And will W7 be able to find all the drivers needed?

Thanks for the Help.

Personally. If I had vista OS on my current computer instead of my 7 I would say just stick with vista. Its not worth such an upgrade. I would actually wait to build a new system completely and just install windows 7. But unless theirs something you need I would even bother.

Do you want to use both OS's? Because you can run Vista and Windows 7 at the same time if you want but you will have to partition the hard drive for that.

You can just throw the CD in the CD drive and call it good. No need to uninstall the Vista OS. It will probably notice the vista OS and update that to Windows 7.
 
Will i have to re install programs such as steam and stuff? or does it keep all my files on here and just transfers it over to W7?
 
It probably wouldn't hurt to back up your stuff, but if I remember right, the upgrade will automagically upgrade the windows stuff in the background and leave your stuff alone.
 
It probably wouldn't hurt to back up your stuff, but if I remember right, the upgrade will automagically upgrade the windows stuff in the background and leave your stuff alone.

There's an option when installing that leaves doing a back up almost pointless, unless you are one of those people that has stuff they can't lose on their computer. But usually nothing ever happens that you would lose it.
 
it's better to back your computer up just in case anything happens in the process. Im sure upgrading wouldn't lose your data.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top