My father served for two years after the Vietnam war in the United States Air Force Military police. He was stationed in Greenland and protected nuclear sites. It was a pretty cool job, he said. He was honorably discharged after his contract at the rank of Senior Airman.
My grand father was from Slovakia, he served in the Slovak Cavalry (Yes, the horses) at an officer rank and after the service, he came to America. I don't know much about him, because he died before I was born.
One of my mom's brothers, my uncle, served in the United States Army. He went to a military school and graduated to start fighting in world war II. He worked his way up and decided to make a career out of it at the end of the war. He continued to serve in the Korean and Vietnam war to retire at the rank of Brigadier General. I talked with him a lot before he died in the Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
Another one of my mom's brothers served in the United States Army in Vietnam as part of the medical corp. He was in charge of disease control for the soldiers and helped a lot of them with malaria and other mosquito born diseases.
One of my dad's brothers, also fought in Vietnam as part of the infantry division. He was awarded a purple heart after months of fighting and got an injury which impaired his ability to continue fighting. I have only visited him once, as he lives far away, but he still has some grenade shrapnel in his leg, and some other scars.
My last known relative that I can think of that fought in a war, was my French Great Great Great Great grandfather, named Felix Bernard Du'montier. He fought in the Revolutionary war in the French Navy. He helped the American revolutionaries in the battle of Yorktown.
I definitely respect all the men and women who have served/are serving as military personnel. And I thank you for your service to your country.
P.S. I like the thread, Storm. Interesting to read about other people's family military history.