A word on healing priorities...

Lafinass

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
2,341
If a medic is healing a heavy in active combat, do not expect him to heal you. In all likelihood that heavy is taking fire from multiple sources and has put himself in harm's way with faith in his medic. You, in this situation, are expendable. Go find a health pack or keep low till the fight is done. Do not spam your medic button, do not whine and complain. The medic is doing his job and keeping his heavy up.

/rant
 
it bugs m when a medic runs by you when you habe 10 hp burning but that instead heal someone when not in combat
 
Yeah, that's just a lack of situational awareness. Out of combat a medic should do his best to top of everyone he sees.

But in combat, the person he has targeted (heavy or not) is depending on that healing and is likely taking risks he would not without.
 
Also, if theres a hurt medic and hes not currently healing, dont take the med pack, let him heal you so he can have the health.
 
100% agreed...

Little while back I had a heavy just round a corner I was healing. He was taking shots from all over the place, but was doing some serious damage himself. Another player on the team as a pyro was returning from the front line, spamming medic. Obviously I carried on with my Heavy still causing damage.

This Pyro started on Mic "Why arn't you healing me?", then started jumping around in front of me, getting in my face. Then had the audacity to say "Get your priorities right noob".

I'm thinking, my heavy has killed his 5th or 6th guy and is still going and you're questioning what I am doing?

Was a little annoyed...

He didn't get much attention from me for the next few rounds...
 
[quote1209036059=kiniki]
100% agreed...

Little while back I had a heavy just round a corner I was healing. He was taking shots from all over the place, but was doing some serious damage himself. Another player on the team as a pyro was returning from the front line, spamming medic. Obviously I carried on with my Heavy still causing damage.

This Pyro started on Mic "Why arn't you healing me?", then started jumping around in front of me, getting in my face. Then had the audacity to say "Get your priorities right noob".

I'm thinking, my heavy has killed his 5th or 6th guy and is still going and you're questioning what I am doing?

Was a little annoyed...

He didn't get much attention from me for the next few rounds...
[/quote1209036059]

You did the right thing.

A medic should only take his attention off the heavy for a little while if he deems it safe. If the heavy is already doing a streak, I would not take my attention off him.
 
Usually unless the guy I'm on is really taking it hard, I like to "click spam" people around me for a couple seconds before returning to my man. It helps keep everybody happy with little or no risk.

Normally on warpath though I usually sit back healing people from a semi-safe spot to get my charge up, and then I find a good candidate to uber and stick with him until it becomes obvious he's toast whether I'm there or not, and then I high-tail back with a good head-start on my next uber. Thats just how the map works. Unless you're team is all gung-ho offense and an uber is the watchword for "everybody bumrush!", then you're just wasting your time if you try to stick with somebody at great personal risk. One medic-heavy combo just cant win the map. Its best to sit back and uber spam until your team gets something going.
 
Personally I hate when a pyro comes through and lights everyone up and then they all start mashing the medic key. I am like seriously, I know you are all on fire. I'll put you all out but I can only do one player at a time. And as blackhawksniper said, medics should have priority on med packs. Medics can heal others faster than they can heal themselves. If you need health, hold back until a medic can heal you, it does not take long to fully top off a badly hurt heavy.

My priorities are: player in combat, then player on fire - medics on fire first, then injured players - badly hurt medics first.

Edit: Updated priority list - added medics.
 
I usually hate getting healed by medics if im in combat simply because i feel a huge obligation to protect them from harm. If they die, i end feeling guilty and can't concentrate for the next 5 minutes. :( Its why i keep telling medics not to uber me. xD
Certainly wouldn't mind getting healed if im injured or on fire though... :D
 
i HATE it when people complain when I run off with my bonesaw.... If I wanna take a break and get a kill or two then let me slice some homies up!
 
My first priority is always other medics. A LOT can change in that 15 second respawn time, not to mention the loss of any accumulated ubercharge. That being said, yeah, if you're hurt bad and I'm only following someone to get to a destination, I'll heal you some, but sometimes it's just not feasible. Pyros are my favorite targets, and if there's a sentry blockade setup that needs to be broken, that's where I'm headed, and that's where I'll be focused.
 
When I play medic, I'll heal everyone I notice. In combat, as all of you know, you may not notice everyone who might need a heal. My bad, sorry about that.

If someone jumps in front of me and starts mashing his medic button and bothering me on the mic, I'm actually going to warn him for griefing and give him a kick. Especially if he starts in with the name calling. That's just not okay.

I've actually never hit the medic call button. I figure most medics have enough to process. If they notice me, great. Otherwise, I'll die or find a health pack.

On the plus side, there will be a lot of people playing medic once this update hits! =)

A [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH4D7Uod4Cg]few thoughts[/link] from a good medic.
 
I play mostly medic, and I hate when people complain about me not doing my job.

You wanna play medic? No? Didn't think so. Stop complaining about how I play.

It bugs me.
 
[quote1209050382=Zopy]
I play mostly medic, and I hate when people complain about me not doing my job.

You wanna play medic? No? Didn't think so. Stop complaining about how I play.

It bugs me.
[/quote1209050382]

That right there is the best response. Until you start playing medic everytime leave the other medics alone.

But, as a frequent medic, I've started to play it as my primary class again, when people hit the medic button it does help me to find the people that are hurt. But if you're just hitting the medic button because you want an escort, go bother someone else cause I have hurt teammates to heal. That right there is one of the primary reasons it's so difficult to heal everyone as quickly as possible, simply b/c you have those people that want to be constantly healed by a medic and really unless you're a heavy moving into a tight area with lots of enemy fire or a pyro pushing to clear out an area, you don't need an escort, you just need me to heal you from time to time. Occassionally I will escort demos into the firefight but only if I trust them enough to get the job done (Nutz, Iadien, etc.). Otherwise I like to heal as many people as possible. Esp. in/on warpath's tunnels and corridors, just run back into there and I'll heal you up good, but if you're completely healed and are taking no damage leave me alone me and your other teammates appreciate it.

I forgot who wrote that healing medics is their first priority, but yes anytime I die and come back I go looking for medics first, we need those ubercharges to continue building and so we need them alive more than the other attackers. The only time I don't go looking for medics is when I have people on fire running at me and screaming medic.

If you don't have a mic I'm much less likely to give you an uber, b/c I can't tell if you're ready or not, no offense but I don't want to hit it and have it wasted b/c you were out of ammo or were retreating b/c you took some damage. :p

One final thing, if you're in a heavy firefight and you only have a little bit to heal, try to save some of the health packs for the medics b/c we can heal you and we can heal ourselves, but let me heal myself with the pack, then heal you and then lets go take 'em out. !lol
 
if im a medic and i see 5 people come flying out of a tunnel on warpath and they are all on fire and close to death, i ALWAYS heal the medic first, until he is not on fire anymore.medics are more important, especially when their uber is higher then 50% charge
 
Great post Lafin. People need to understand that this is not WoW or EverQuest. The Medic heals targets of opportunity which can deal the most damage. Worrying about deaths in TF2 like we're playing CS is silly, IMO. It's not like you don't respawn 15 seconds later.
 
I agree, Zopy. Too many times, I've heard people complaining about medics not doing something. I've heard a bit of it myself. Things they use is not healing them, only healing one person, or staying in one spot.

However, it seems that some players don't realize a few things. The reason why some medics stay on one person is because of the fact that they don't get them killed. I've chased a few people calling out "Medic!" trying to get them health only to get myself killed in combat just to have them complain after I come back.

Here's my biggest problem. Someone complaining about not getting health when they are running around like crazy in a congested area. Mediguns don't just lock-on, so if there aren't any enemies, stand still.
 
Iadien I let you burn on purpose for all the times you've rocketed, bombed, sniped, sentried, stabbed me, etc. ;) Just kidding, there are a lot of times though that I watch you fall in front of my feet and I sit in my chair cursing myself for not being able to switch over and noticing quick enough. Too often I watch people die and curse myself. Though admittedly it hurts the most when it's other medics that were close to or already ready for uber :p
 
Back
Top