A word on healing priorities...

[quote1209056419=JPeterman]
Great post Lafin. People need to understand that this is not WoW or EverQuest. The Medic heals targets of opportunity which can deal the most damage. Worrying about deaths in TF2 like we're playing CS is silly, IMO. It's not like you don't respawn 15 seconds later.
[/quote1209056419]

That is the best way to put it so far. When I play as medic, I tend to try to keep everybody topped off, but if I see a player who is singlehandedly making a difference, I will likely lock on to him and stick with him until one of us dies. For instance, I'm not sure how many of you have played with Nemo, but the guy's good. And he does even better when he's got a medic to keep him topped off, so if I happen to see him around, I'll usually stick with him because I know that my constant healing will probably allow him to kill 10 - 15 people before I end up catching a crit with my teeth. (It's usually me who dies first since I have no problem following him deep into enemy territory and try to dodge enemy fire along with him. :))

Conversely, when I'm playing my chosen class (soldier), I will never expect a medic to just lock on to me and stick with me. All I ask is that you guys kindly heal me back up when I call for you. That said, some of my best runs have resulted from the support of a medic. I was having a particularly good night (for me) for a bit last night -- I had a couple of rounds where I was getting 10+ kills per death and I owe it all to a cadre of excellent medics on Gravelpit. They were always Johnny on the spot with the healing whenever I called for it, and would often stick with me for several minutes at a time while I battled back a rush or two. IE, I was doing well enough that I was a target of opportunity myself. I usually don't expect this nor are my rockets usually as accurate as they were last night. :)
 
I love a good medic that knows their priorities.

If I'm rocking the big gun I'm pulling a 5:1 ratio just off medpacks. Those rare games where a medic latches on to me for round after round, I pull 10:1 easy. And a mess of destructions to boot. Destructions really need to give assists to the medic the way it does to a spy who sapped.
 
[quote1209060461=Lafinass]
I love a good medic that knows their priorities.

...Destructions really need to give assists to the medic the way it does to a spy who sapped.
[/quote1209060461]

I really wish it did, b/c both as a medic and demo player I am saddened that my medics that follow me into battle after their uber is over don't get rewarded for their bravery and vica-versa when I don't get rewarded. I know that as a demo destructions are really where the points rack up and I would like to share that with my medic even if it meant taking away some of my points b/c they deserve it as well. I always end up feeling bad as a demo that was ubered when I go in and only get destructions b/c then my medic doesn't get anything for their uber and I get all the points. I really think they ought to switch it back to how the medic still got points for the destructions b/c they're a huge key part of even being able to get in there to do that.
 
I agree with !Woodstock!'s priority list. I would only break it down a little further and heal other medic players on fire before other players on fire, and the same with injured. If I see injured Medics, they come first.

On a side note, if you want to be healed, STAND STILL!!!! =) I can't tell you how often I have tried to heal the burning demo who hasn't taken his AD/HD medicine and is bouncing around and between other players so that I can't connect to him only to see his lifeless body land at my feet and a text message asking why I didn't heal him. Unless you are taking fire, stand still and wait your turn, I will get to you. =)

-Groo
 
Nice post Laf.

I want to add a personal peeve of mine.

Just because I have 100% on my uber meter and I'll currently healing you, it does not mean I'm going to uber you. I'll be on dustbowl, running around keeping my team healed and I'll eventually get my uber, but continue to top everyone off. There's always that one player who I heal and decides that he (or she) is going to take off head first into an enemy area. Of course, I dont follow. He dies instantly and blames me.

I am judge, jury, and executioner of the holy uber. If I want you to have my uber, I'll let you know, and I'll tell you exactly what I want you to do with it.
 
Just for everyone to see here is a wonderfull video (IMO) on how to play medic:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvPeT-1QDPk&feature=related[/ame]
 
Thank you for saying that, Groo. I HATE it when someone is running around like a chicken with it's head coming off spamming their medic button and WON'T HOLD STILL long enough for me to heal them.
And it must be said: please don't blame all your deaths on the medics! There usually aren't enough medics to go around, and we do the best we can. Sure, sometimes I make a mistake or two and you will die, but really, when you die you will respawn and we can start over again....
 
That's why I try not to heal heavies... once you start, they feel like they own you, hehe... (though, I tend to stick to warpath, where heavies are definitely the weakest class)

I tend to heal whoever needs it, with special consideration given to 'valuable' teammates. If there's a heavy push going on, I try to do my best to heal everyone, since it's better than a few falling back to try to find a health pack. If I just sat healing the heavy, everyone else would be killed, then I'd be killed, and then the heavy -- without anything getting accomplished.

I'd hate to say it, but heavies just don't bring me many points -- though I'd say that's a clear sign of their effectiveness...
 
Well, there's an exception to any rule... Buga's the best I've seen, and I'll give her a heal anytime -- and your good too, laf, though you make a more effective soldier, hehe...

Different situations call for different strategies... All a good medic has to do is just contribute to the team's victory, no matter what the approach. The best thing a medic can do for their team is provide confidence and keep up moral -- even the 'noobiest' of players can feel a surge of bravery if they know a good med is there to back them up.

My grieves as a 'primary med' though... where to begin... If there is a medic around, hit med so you can get healed, instead of grabbing a medpack indiscriminately (obvious exceptions apply, ie on fire with 8hp). Medics -- heal other medics! If I'm down on health, you can heal me while I cover everyone else... Don't whine over not being healed, if you feel that's the case -- a good med tries his best to keep everyone alive, and if they're not a good med then it's falling on death ears anyways. And if you are only down by like 15hp, don't call med -- toughen up and head back to the frontline, where the good medics are anyways...
 
Hardhat,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like that. I always feel terrible when I'm uber'd because I always get excited and screw it up.
 
If you do not want an Uber let the medic know. If you have no mic then a quick note in chat would do, or face them and shake your body no.
 
/bump the post about not taking the health pack when a medic needs it. the medic can heal you, but not if he/she is dead x)
 
A good heavy can make insane differences with a good medic, and im neither, but i know that it works. I was playing convoy_v2, and there was this group that kept doing this medic heavy push, and got very far until I and a heavy went and returned the favor. We went from the near the bottom to top and 2nd place (he ended up with over 150 kills i know, as i had a huge amount of assists, but we were able to actually push them back, despite dying near about their lower area outside the spawn (He would go through a heavy+med, plus another 3-7 classes , if not making it to the intel room for a second ubercharge. and part of the way back, and boy did we take alot of deaths given i was always the target, but he was solid gold that round, and medic is really not my class. And this was doing the same thing each death given it was often a series of crits in a row that did us in.)
 
Until the sniper goes BAM and the heavy goes NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
I just had an awesome run as a medic together with DCL as my soldier! :)
Lots of fun, too. He kept owning all these blus and later on the reds! (he sticked to me, or I sticked to him ;) even after my über didn't really work the first time...)

-Calle
 
[quote1209264121=Nemo]
Until the sniper goes BAM and the heavy goes NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
[/quote1209264121]That's the most frustrating thing as a medic. When I instantly die I give no warning to my healee, who's usually in the middle of 5 grenades or something.
 
since we're talking about the medic/heavy combo, sometimes it's hard to know when to uber/no uber; that is, as a medic we don't know how much ammo the offensive player has left. it would be awesome if valve would include an ammo count that the medic can see if he is healing someone; you know, like how many stickies a demoman has, ammo a heavy has, etc...
 
I like being a medic for one reason.... watching people run the other direction when your ubered. A good medic does a few things if you watch them. They will stick to who protects them the most, because medics don't like to die. If you can't protect your medic, don't expect them to hang out with you. Secondly, they will uber whom them deem that best to utilize the uber. You don't uber someone who can't help the team win. When i'm medic, i'll uber who i think will cause the most chaos for the other team..... the one problem I have while i'm a medic is when other people watch me uber someone and push forward but no one follows. What makes an uber innaffective is not people pushing and following closely behind an uber. People wonder why warpath ends up with so many stalemates, but its because no one is aggessive behind an uber. Push behind your uber people!
 
Back
Top