Getting Promoted

Monkeybits

EGO Zealot
Joined
Apr 14, 2008
Messages
1,860
From time to time, we're asked how one advances in eGO. There's actually a sticky on it, but many people are so eager to sign up they may not read it carefully. If you're wondering how to get promoted, let me direct you to that sticky [link=http://www.edgegamers.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?10547]here[/link].

The most relevant parts are:

[blockquote]Some factors we look at include:

1. Your playing time in the servers and love of the game.

2. Your maturity and ability to make the correct decisions in the servers. (Are you ready to switch sides when needed, or do you instead just say "TEAMS"?)

3. Your forum activity - Do you contribute to the clan outside of playing the game? (Some members are promoted only on server time and not on forum activity. People are rarely promoted based on forum activity alone.)

4. Age - Our youngest member is 13, our oldest member is 58. We look at age and try to keep a good balance between older and younger.

5. Location - We might promote Hawaiians, Brits, Euro's and Aussies a bit quicker since we need admin coverage in off hours.

6. Donations do not guarantee a promotion, but they do get you noticed. People who donate are mentioned in the news, allowing others to learn your name quicker and so might watch to see if you meet the 5 above requirements a little quicker than someone who did not make the news.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DONATE TO BE PROMOTED. The vast majority of Admins are not donors.

7. Remember, at the =(e)=™ level, you are NOT an admin yet. So don't try to be. When an =(eG)=™ or (eGO)=™ member is in the server watch how he or she admins.

They will teach you if you just watch. Let them handle the issues on the server.

The Council and Advisors are always watching to see who is ready. We also listen to what other clan members think about a player.

The best way to NEVER get promoted is "ASKING FOR A PROMOTION". Just play and have fun. [/blockquote]

Shocking as it is, the very best way to get promoted is to get on server and do what you do best: have good, clean fun. Stand up for eGO principles as the need arises, but don't go out of your way or get overzealous about it. If you're not having a good time, then you're not doing it right. Relax and enjoy and the promotions will come. We're watching you (no, not like Big Brother--in a good way) and we notice when you're doing well.

Another important principle is that it never matters who else has been promoted or when they joined. Getting promoted isn't a competition with your clan mates; we don't have a set number of admin slots to fill. The only competition is with yourself to become the best gamer you can be.
 
Basicly bumping this to the top so more people would see it!

For me it doesnt really matter if I get promoted since I always have 5-6 eg-ego people online so if there is a problem some1 will take care of it 100% of the time. The only thing I hate is in vent I cant get into some rooms cause I am not a special force or admin recruiter, feel left out
 
I will let you in on a secret. In most of those rooms, you get pretty much the same thing as you get in any other room.
 
[quote1210560787=Monkeybits]
I will let you in on a secret. In most of those rooms, you get pretty much the same thing as you get in any other room.
[/quote1210560787]
That's completely true. I'm both an A|R and an S|F, and I spend most of my time in the Lobby or in General Rooms. :)
 
You all are liers, you probably making secret plans in there without me!!! XD
But i mean at times you have 5-6 people in those rooms and about 1-2 per room in general, but I will live, will play for a wile eventually I will get to a point where you guys are.
 
[quote1210561463=cccp]
You all are liers, you probably making secret plans in there without me!!! XD
But i mean at times you have 5-6 people in those rooms and about 1-2 per room in general, but I will live, will play for a wile eventually I will get to a point where you guys are.
[/quote1210561463]
Pshh, it doesn't matter how many people are in those rooms. I've actually been in the AR room twice in my life, and I've never been in the SF room.
I prefer staying in the general rooms, talking to HitmanX or Redflag. :D
 
Just a quick question:

Since I'm not either an eG or an eGO, there will be times when I'm in the server and I don't see anyone who is at that status. From time to time when I'm the only eGO member in there, people will violate the server rules. Since I can't really DO anything about it on the spot, how should I treat the situation? I try to correct some, who listen, but I want to make sure of the line I can't cross since I don't have the eG or eGO title yet.
 
Cage, the best you can do is to politely ask them not to violate our rules while on the server. A lot of time, that's enough. If it's not, though, and if things are way out of control, then you need to contact an admin as soon as possible. I actually wrote up a pretty comprehensive post about a month ago, but I can't find it.

The short of it is this:
1) Try to add eG's and eGO's to your steam friends list. In fact, feel free to add me. My steam name is "respawn_76". Just search for that and I'll accept the friend request. As eG's and eGO's we've all made a commitment to keeping the servers clean, and I would be surprised if any of us would turn down a request for help without good reason. This goes doubly so for council/advisor/SF members, as they are all eGO members who have voluntarily accepted that extra level of responsibility.
2) If you don't have anybody on your friend's list, post in the Chatbox over on the right side of the page. We all try to monitor it for anybody requesting admin help on a server.
3) If all else fails, you can still do your part as an e and fill out ban requests in the "request bans" forum. Unless I'm mistaken, you can still pull up the console as an e and use the status request to gain a player's steam ID -- you'll need that for a ban request. Then, just provide enough evidence in the request, and the powers that be will take care of it.
4) If 3 sounds confusing, I highly encourage you to attend an admin seminar, if possible as it will help clarify some of our rules as well as give you a better idea of what you, as an e, can do to help keep our servers clean. While attendance preference is given to those that have admin abilities, I'll wager that you can find room in one of the large seminars.

It's late and I'm tired, but I think I probably covered everything that you are able to do there.
 
[quote1210604068=cccp]
You all are liers, you probably making secret plans in there without me!!! XD
But i mean at times you have 5-6 people in those rooms and about 1-2 per room in general, but I will live, will play for a wile eventually I will get to a point where you guys are.
[/quote1210604068]

Well, when you look at the rooms on Vent, if you see a blue symbol next to the room name, you don't need a password or special access level. Only if it's red or yellow.

The locked parts of different areas such as meeting rooms and private rooms are usually only used for one of two reasons:
1) Someone doesn't want to be bothered unless it concerns that group, or, more commonly:
2) The room is being used to discuss a sensitive situation, private matter, or yes, secret plans.

...And, of course,
3) Making fun of everyone who can't get in those channels because we know they won't hear.

My usual practice is to sit in the open SF channel while I listen to music, work, or do other things, and just hang around in case someone needs me or has a question (which you can feel free to do any time you see me in there--if we're busy or I can't help you at the moment, I'll tell you).

Just try not to hang out in the "special" rooms just to chat, though, especially if we're idling there only to answer questions. We do make occasional forays into the other rooms when we're all feelin' chatty.

I know Dark Acolyte, DuckDastardly, and Nemo tend to do the same.
 
Yes alot of those rooms are open to the public, just double click to try and get in them. Just do as Ephyu stated
 
Like Ephyu said, Blue - (or + if no one has been there for a while) signs mean there are no password required, and you may come in. I hang in the A|R lounge, but that's only because I see people coming in there. I'm willing to talk to anyone, but I'm not a convo starter. :P
 
The quickest ways to get promoted are...
1. Kill PurpleNurple
2. Laugh when you kill PurpleNurple
3. Destroy all chocolate so Purple can't have any.

Do these things and you will be fine.
 
I'm not an -|SF|- or A|R or rangers or anything like that. But, I notice that when I join vent, people rarely hang around in the eGO or eG private rooms. Mostly everybody hangs out and talks in the general rooms.

And to all e's out there: If you want to get promoted, play on the servers and interact with other clan members to show that you are a quality team player that stands against punks. It is important to demonstrate that you care and that you have an understanding of the rules also. Basically, just enjoy your time in the clan and promotions will come your way. Trust me. And even if you don't get promoted as soon as you would like, you can still get awards for being a great person.
 
[quote1210622242=Tanooki]
The quickest ways to get promoted are...
1. Kill PurpleNurple
2. Laugh when you kill PurpleNurple
3. Destroy all chocolate so Purple can't have any.

Do these things and you will be fine.
[/quote1210622242]What if I give Purple the chocolate? What happens then?
 
[quote1210624948=Le Sac Magique]
hey can i plx get ego and also can ig et admin on goldrsh ty
[/quote1210624948]


Talking with a wrench in your mouth will do that.

Wazemmz to beez daprobem Dawg? Akant undastann a word yasay!
 
seriously it should not matter on admin. i just play to play. but i wanted to join eGO because there members are mature and dedicated to having a good time.
 
[blockquote]hey can i plx get ego and also can ig et admin on goldrsh ty[/blockquote]

Unfortunately, the ability to use proper English is a requirement for promotion.
 
Promotions are all well and good, but that is not what makes this clan great. What makes this clan great is that we have alot of mature players, and players that will dedicate their time to this clan. This clan is also about having fun, and not having to worry about a punk coming in and cheating and messing up all the fun. To tell you the truth, before i joined eGO, i looked into ALOT of clans, and none of them I really liked because they didnt have any rules to keep the clan in order. I came to these servers one day and saw something different, so i joined. I think that is why we have so many members joining, because we do enforce rules. Without rules there is chaos.
 
[quote1210717481=Sharp]
To tell you the truth, before i joined eGO, i looked into ALOT of clans, and none of them I really liked because they didnt have any rules to keep the clan in order. I came to these servers one day and saw something different, so i joined. I think that is why we have so many members joining, because we do enforce rules. Without rules there is chaos.
[/quote1210717481]


Only my 4th post cos I've been busy camping in the Dustbowl server :D

You hit the nail on the head there- that's exactly why I joined up. I can now enjoy a couple of hours TF2 gaming without trawling through TF2 servers avoiding skywalkers, gate shooters, permo ubers and general weirdo's ;) all thanks to eGO!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top