[quote1212057816=PNSD]
[quote1212055307=Dieinpeace]
I was looking to get into mapping but i dont know any programs to use for this. Could you guys throw out some links to useful stuff?
[/quote1212055307]You just use hammer, you download the Source SDK from Steam and Hammer is included in it.
[/quote1212057816]
Bearing in mind you must own Half-Life 2, otherwise you can not download the Source SDK, but I'm sure you already have Half-Life 2
Make sure when you start mapping, start simple, don't have massive ideas and say after using hammer for 20 mins "I'm going to make an awesome mod", really, it won't work - modding takes a lot of time, practise and skill. Become competent at mapping, maybe join a small scale mod and do one or two maps for them, start to make a name for yourself. I'm not trying to be a downer, but please, trust me =)
Good luck to all mappers.
Good resources:
www.interlopers.net
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Level_Design
Once you start releasing maps:
http://www.student.ru.nl/rvanhoorn/optimization.php - best optimisation guide around, this guy knows his stuff.