New Build (Corei7)

Finally found the GTX-295 on nVidia.com!

http://www.nvidia.com/HelpMeChoose/fx/HelpMeChoose.asp

I hope that link works.


It does say minimum power requirement is 680 watts? I'm still confused here. So I guess I will need 1360 watts for two of these cards?


Peace!

P.S. Now having problems on deciding if I should RAID 2 drives in a RAID 1 and two other drives in a RAID 0. Or create a RAID 5 Array?

P.P.S. Will definitely get a Adaptec RAID SATA II card cause software RAIDs are unreliable.

P.P.P.S. Any thought people?
 
Last edited:
By "minimum of 680 watts" they mean your power supply man. There is just NO WAY a card like that uses 3 times the power of a 4870x2.
 
From http://hothardware.com/News/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-295-Specification-Unveiled/:
Fabrication Process 55 nm
Core Clock (texture and ROP units) 576 MHz
Shader Clock (Stream Processors) 1242 MHz
Memory Clock (Clock rate / Data rate) 1000 MHz / 2000 MHz
Total Video Memory 1792 MB
Memory Interface 448-bit per GPU
Total Memory Bandwidth 224 GB/s
Processor Cores 480
ROP Units 28
Texture Filtering Units 160
Texture Filtering Rate 92.2 GigaTexels/sec
Connectors 2 x Dual-Link DVI-I 1 x HDMI
RAMDACs 400 MHz
Bus Technology PCI Express 2.0
Form Factor Dual Slot
Power Connectors 1 x 6-pin 1 x 8-pin
Max Board Power (TDP) 289 watts

Also reference this site
... Max Board Power (TDP):
289 watts ...


... Max board power is rated for 289 watts, which is right on par with the Radeon HD 4870 X2 and, as such, the GTX 295 requires both 6-pin and 8-pin supplemental PCI Express power connectors. ...

The GTX 295 uses a maximum of 289 watts, total. That is the maximum power that the GTX 295 can consume under any circumstances.
 
Last edited:
And I thought my rig was wacked out.

My opinion would be to get like 3 500GB hardrives and set them up in a RAID config, that is if you have some files you need to back up on your computer. If not then just get the 1TB drive, you need to space.
 
From http://hothardware.com/News/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-295-Specification-Unveiled/:
Fabrication Process 55 nm
Core Clock (texture and ROP units) 576 MHz
Shader Clock (Stream Processors) 1242 MHz
Memory Clock (Clock rate / Data rate) 1000 MHz / 2000 MHz
Total Video Memory 1792 MB
Memory Interface 448-bit per GPU
Total Memory Bandwidth 224 GB/s
Processor Cores 480
ROP Units 28
Texture Filtering Units 160
Texture Filtering Rate 92.2 GigaTexels/sec
Connectors 2 x Dual-Link DVI-I 1 x HDMI
RAMDACs 400 MHz
Bus Technology PCI Express 2.0
Form Factor Dual Slot
Power Connectors 1 x 6-pin 1 x 8-pin
Max Board Power (TDP) 289 watts

Also reference this site
... Max Board Power (TDP):
289 watts ...


... Max board power is rated for 289 watts, which is right on par with the Radeon HD 4870 X2 and, as such, the GTX 295 requires both 6-pin and 8-pin supplemental PCI Express power connectors. ...

The GTX 295 uses a maximum of 289 watts, total. That is the maximum power that the GTX 295 can consume under any circumstances.

yeah the 295 aint that much better than the 4870x2. all the gtx 295 is, is two gtx260's so....
 
Well from the reviews they say its not quite 2 260's and its not quite 2 280's. They say the that the 2 cards in there are a mix between the both. Specifications wise.
 
I'm highly considering to also go for core i7 instead of a e8400....
 
•Jv•;621237 said:
I'm highly considering to also go for core i7 instead of a e8400....

:D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, an update on my money status. From Christmas/Birthday money and my latest paycheck I currently have $800 :D! I'm so close I can smell it O_O
 
:D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, an update on my money status. From Christmas/Birthday money and my latest paycheck I currently have $800 :D! I'm so close I can smell it O_O

I already have got 750? (= 1000$). There's a chance I can order them tomorrow ;)
 
Well here is yet another update on my build. I made another thread or 2 about this a couple months ago but I thought I'd just update some people on what my my new machine that I will be building. If you guys have some input or recommendations that would be really helpful as well. The thing different about this build compared to my past posts is that its Corei7 and this time I actually have money saved up for it this time! :eek: I got myself around $500, so almost half way there. Just another month or 2 and she's all mine, can't wait. The subtotal is around $1,300 :mad: If anyone says I don't need a Corei7 system and a Core2Quad system would be just fine, I'll punch you in the face. :p Besides, this build compared to my older Core2Quad wish list is only around $200 :eek:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128362
gigabytex58.png


CPU: Intel Nehalem 920:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202
19-115-202-04.jpg


CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme:
http://www.quietpcusa.com/Thermalright-Ultra-120-Extreme-1366-RT-Quiet-CPU-Cooler-P507C61.aspx
th-core-i7-cooler.jpg


Memory: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224
20-145-224-03.jpg


PSU: CORSAIR 1000HX 1000W PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007
17-139-007-16.jpg


I know some are going to say that this PSU is overkill but its what I want. Maybe something Ill get 2 4870x2s or get more hardware. Besides, this is an awesome PSU and I've had my heart set on it for a while now.

Hard Drive 1: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB (Main/Games):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (Storage):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284
22-136-319-02.jpg


And here are a couple things I'll be getting after the build:

Sapphire 4870x2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102768
(Already have a 4850 so I can hold out for a while)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024

And considering one of these 3 monitors:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001280
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009154
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014181

Just in case you are wondering, I do have a case and Vista Ultimate x64 already.
Case: Silverstone Fortress:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163121
I love this case a LOT :D


Well, your setup looks real good but you need to remeber, the sound card your going to use requires a PCIe slot which is on the very end or last slot of the motherboard you are going to use. And with dual video cards, you won't have any room for that sound card. And the major thermal issues you will encounter with two cards, you will need to void their warranty and liquid cool both cards which in turn will make each card the size of three individual cards instead of just two cards.

Space can be a major issue here.

A quad sli will not make your gaming any better. But if your into video editing, graphic design, engineering then you will be able to utilize a quad display. Two to three cards is more than enough for gaming unless you are looking for bragging rights. But it's you decision.

If you need any advice when it comes to liquid cooling, let me know. I liquid cool everything in my house. My computer, surround sound system, ham radio stations, etc. I'm a nut for liquid cooling.

And that Corsair PSU, it is a good company but in my opinion, I would highly recommend PC Power & Cooling, Thermaltake or Antec. They get the best reviews and are very efficient. Corsair is new in the PSU industry. They make the best ram in the world but PSU is new for them and they don't have a real good track record yet.

PC Power & Cooling is what I use. Probably the most expensive PSU anyone can buy, but very reputable and reliable. I get a lot of adivce from IT's that are in our clan. They know a lot and will help you decide what you need.

Also, I would highly recommend Western Digital Hard Drives. They are so reliable and offer the best warranties in the business. Also, there customer support is top notch and if you purchase a WD from Newegg, not only does the drive comes with a 5 year warranty, but for $14.99 you can get an additional 2 year warranty off of Newegg which will start the last day of your original 5 year warranty. That's 7 years! Awesome.

And a small note on Seagate Drives. They are also a good drive company, but ever since they took over Connor Drives, their reliability has suffered tremendously. And they only offer a 3 year warranty. But there customer support is still good. But check the reviews, not as good as WD.

Just my opinion and the opinion of many others in our clan and reviews you will find on the net.

We should talk sometime. I'm here to help if needed.

Peace and good luck with your build!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top