Personal FAILURES? ...
I don't know if I could agree with that in the slightest. I've left CS:S for months on end for simple things like being school related. I also know that some people leave because they're having a kid... and many other reasons. I wouldn't call those failures at all, but more of a success and nothing less.
The only way that CS:S, eGO, or any video game has changed my real life is that it takes time from my other social events. I still give myself more than enough time for these, but I do take away a decent amount. Other than that, I've always been pretty much the same... call me stubborn, but I don't think online and reality interconnect too much.
Anyways nice post, I'm not trying to read between the lines or anything... It just came up in my mind while I read this and I figured I'd reply. Not trying to kill anything for you

But I do like to keep things on a "realistic" level, many people in life think I'm an ass for the way I think and do things, but others would agree with that, but also say that I've got a very good way of viewing things and not just "whacking around the bush" sort of method. If I've got a problem with someone, they typically know.

(no need to worry GreenTea)