Not Planned Admin Disrespect "rule" should be changed to Player Disrespect

  • Thread starter Thread starter MS
  • Start date Start date

MS

EGO Zealot
Joined
Dec 10, 2019
Messages
1,966
Hi all, there's been a theme going on that I personally have noticed at least where some admins will punish players for something that they call "Admin diss" (or disrespect). Effectively this rule prevents players from instigating or slandering staff members. And while I am not against this rule, I do not see why it is staff specific.

The primary role of a staff member is to moderate the server, deal with rule breakers, and make the game fun. In addition to moderation, staff are expected to handle generally rowdy and misbehaving players. Why is it then that saying "X admin is gay" is against the rules, but saying "X player is gay" isn't? Why does eGO protect the staff as if they aren't able to handle or deal with minor insults?

If anything, this rule should be reversed. Staff should be expected to roll with minor insults and protect others that aren't expected to meet such a requirement. I can understand if small minor insults weren't allowed in general, but they are; hell, some admins even insult the players. And according to what these admins are saying (nothing in the rules support this), it is fine to insult a player as long as they aren't an admin.

A significant thing to point out here is that nowhere in the rules (as far as I've read, which is the Server Rules and CS:GO Rules) does it state that admin specific disrespect is disallowed. It generally states that any form of disrespect towards any player is unallowed. This is how it should be, an insult should be unallowed regardless of whom it's towards. If this is how it currently is, then do let me know. However from what I've seen the large majority of admins either aren't willing to call out the admins that believe that insults are allowed, or they themselves genuinely believe that it is okay to insult non-staff but not okay to insult staff.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
-1....
This is our VERY FIRST RULE...
We literally motto the term "Punk-Free Gaming"....
We enforce this. EXSTENSIVELY.
Even the resource YOU LINKED show that...

Now there's this...
If anything, this rule should be reversed. Staff should be expected to roll with minor insults and protect others that aren't expected to meet such a requirement.
I'll give you the leeway that your basing this off of NOT KNOWING the first rule exists.

But it grinds my gears that you'd 'suggest'(or infer) that ANY MEMBER shouldn't be afforded the hospitality and respect we strive to provide weither another player or admin; is to me distasteful, for lack of a better and respectful word).
Staff included work as volunteers and our of their personal time manage the servers. We ain't out seeking glory, but to suggest that we should be exempt from being respected like every player... Well that's a little infuriating.
Every player here is, and should, be given that H&R. It's common sense...

Just in case you reached this point BECAUSE of something negative you've seen, report it. We can't achieve that goal if we don't know there is a problem. Not looking to get any person in trouble or bust anyone's balls, but we care. I don't have to second guess when I say that's what EdgeGamers is all about.
 
-1....
This is our VERY FIRST RULE...
We literally motto the term "Punk-Free Gaming"....
We enforce this. EXSTENSIVELY.
Even the resource YOU LINKED show that...

Now there's this...

I'll give you the leeway that your basing this off of NOT KNOWING the first rule exists.

But it grinds my gears that you'd 'suggest'(or infer) that ANY MEMBER shouldn't be afforded the hospitality and respect we strive to provide weither another player or admin; is to me distasteful, for lack of a better and respectful word).
Staff included work as volunteers and our of their personal time manage the servers. We ain't out seeking glory, but to suggest that we should be exempt from being respected like every player... Well that's a little infuriating.
Every player here is, and should, be given that H&R. It's common sense...

Just in case you reached this point BECAUSE of something negative you've seen, report it. We can't achieve that goal if we don't know there is a problem. Not looking to get any person in trouble or bust anyone's balls, but we care. I don't have to second guess when I say that's what EdgeGamers is all about.
I'm glad that you agree that all players and staff shouldn't be disrespected towards. I made this thread because numerous times I've seen players be punished under the term "staff disrespect". In addition, after being gagged for typing in chat that an admin is gay (for staff diss), I said that's a dumb rule and then said "here look, if I call this player here gay is that player diss?" I then called that player gay, and I was not muted.

My point here isn't that staff deserve or should be given disrespect, I have a feeling you misread my tone of the thread. Please note that I did clarify that "I am not against this rule". I wanted to point out that mature staff are expected to act mature to slander, not justify it or give excuses for it. I am grateful for a large majority of the staff that moderate the servers, I am however criticizing something that seems to happen often. And while you may have not personally punished under the term "staff disrespect", I think it would be good to get rid of the term entirely and broaden it to "disrespect" or "player disrespect".

Ultimately I think you misread my thread. To summarize all of it, "This is how it should be, an insult should be unallowed regardless of whom it's towards."
 
Last edited:
I also agree, punishing someone more based upon the person they're disrespecting is silly, disrespect is disrespect regardless of who's on the receiving.

Just make it one cohesive rule that doesn't paint a picture of unfair punishment.
 
If you refer to our server rules I believe your suggestion will be answered. Specifically:
No disrespect tolerated; includes excessive swearing and the use of any racist, sexist, or homophobic term(s).
Which means no disrespect is tolerated towards players or admins. Disrespect isn't just a rule aimed towards admins that would be pretty terrible.
 
Last edited:
I think hes trying to say more on the fact that admin disrespect is a longer punishment.
And while I am not against this rule, I do not see why it is staff specific.
The punishment for disrespect is still the same as admin disrespect and the same procedure is followed (w/k/b)
 
The punishment for disrespect is still the same as admin disrespect and the same procedure is followed (w/k/b)
Admin Disrespect is much more strongly enforced from my perspective on the server. You can diss anyone on the server and not be punished, but the moment you involve an admin you get insta muted/gagged/kicked.

From what has been replied to on the thread however, it does seem like it's merely the admins being poor in their fairness and equal standards. I will be sure to report the admins that only punish if the disrespect is directed towards themselves and not others. Thank you for the clarification.
 
Its entirely possible there is some that are not enforcing things as strongly; but I'd like to add that its entirely possible they ARE handling it privately. You gotta remeber we usually warn via private messages. I think it's also hard to know without accurate statistics. Your sample size might not reflect the bigger picture; so if you think there is an issue, do the math. Maybe you spot something, maybe you find some stats you didn't expect.
 
image_2020-12-06_142730.png

i ion see it
 
tbh, 50% of this post actually makes sense, i agree that sometimes admins could take it over board when you say mean stuff to them but, maybe they're just having a bad day yknow. just to keep things positive.
 
Take it like this, you're an admin it makes you no better than any other player. Disrespect is disrespect no matter who it goes to. If I call an Admin stupid, and then a normal e tag stupid, it should be the same punishment for both. You shouldn't get a bigger ban because you called someone with power stupid, and then a lower ban for calling someone without it stupid.
 
I can agree with many points from both sides of this conversation. I believe the best way to resolve the problem would either lower the admin disrespect ban to a 1-3 day ban and treat it the same way as a player disrespecting another player, or raise the player on player disrespect to the same level as admin disrespect as this community does not tolerate disrespect by any means. As I, and many other admins, have experienced, admins do receive a lot of hate; however, I do feel that ALL disrespect should be punished in the same manner depending on how bad the disrespect is (racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. should all be punished harsher rather than calling a player minor names or blatant harassment for example). I have witnessed how things are handled as both a member and an admin and I can say that the admin side of things are much more behind-the-scenes when dealing with this issue in game as the majority of the admins I have played with and "worked" with do take these community guidelines seriously, and they take the appropriate action that they were taught to take.

+1
 
You also have to realize us admins are not always reading chat, we are tabbed out, on our phones, etc. If I tab back in for a second and don't see a red message to us admins then I tab back out, I try to read chat as much as possible but we all still have lives, class, homework so we aren't always paying attention that is why us admins emphasize using @ when you have a problem. Now I am not saying using the @ will guarantee you a result all of the time but most of the time it will. If you really don't like the way an admin handles situations then you can make a CL with your evidence. https://www.edgegamers.com/forums/852/ "Link for CL" But trust me us admins try our best to help in every way we can especially when it comes to disrespecting others.
 
Well usually players don't report disrespect. Like at all... Admins usually see disrespect and they usually have bind for all chat or we mute the people. I'm sure if people report it more then chances are it will be dealt with more.
 
I don’t think this needs to be a “rule change”. I will agree with the fact that Staff Diss is punished more often than player diss, and in all practical purposes player diss happens more than staff diss- but I think the difference is that player diss is never reported. So I think what your suggestion should say is-

“Have admins punish more for Player diss and quicker”

-which imo would be more of a CL type of post. Otherwise yeah, -1 for an actual physical rule change. It’s unnecessary.
 

Similar threads

Latest posts

Back
Top