I just got a Betta Fish!

Passon

I made one post
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13
I just purchased my first ever Crowntail Betta Fish! I was wondering if any of you have or ever had one of these fish? Also, any tips on how to take care of it would be nice!
 
I had one - red!
Cost me $5.
Named him Excalibur.
I put him in tupperware and flew from Boston to NY with him in my bag in 1992. Lived about 2 years.
I don't have many tips other than don't put your finger on the bowl - he gets kinda angry.
 
I don't have many tips other than don't put your finger on the bowl - he gets kinda angry.

From what I've heard, it's actually not a bad thing to let betas act out their aggression every so often.

I've also heard that it's ok to use tap water with betas, but that distilled water is much better.
 
apparently distilled water is horrible for them, there is no nutrients or something like that, but Thanks for all the info guys!

EDIT: also FatalSinz do you breed them or did you buy all of them, cause i am quite interested in breeding.
 
yeah i owned one in college. A couple people on my floor got together and we had a samurai fighting tournament. My guy was champion the first semester. The second sememster he didnt do to good. Dont worry, none of the fish died. When we saw the fight was getting out of hand we scooped them out of the bowl. They regenerated themselves a few days later back to 100% health. But anyway...yeah Have tournaments with them its fun :p
 
apparently distilled water is horrible for them, there is no nutrients or something like that, but Thanks for all the info guys!

EDIT: also FatalSinz do you breed them or did you buy all of them, cause i am quite interested in breeding.

i purchased them. not sure about the breeding thing
 
I had one that lived for 4 years, much longer than I wanted it to. !bang

All I did was clean it's bowl weekly, and feed it a couple pellets every night. I believe I used spring water...
 
I wouldn't ask for advice on this subject from me.. I ended up boiling my Beta when I changed the water to a bit above room temp.. Apparently they don't do well with quick temp changes, as it started to twitch madly before eventually going belly-up. =(
 
I wouldn't ask for advice on this subject from me.. I ended up boiling my Beta when I changed the water to a bit above room temp.. Apparently they don't do well with quick temp changes, as it started to twitch madly before eventually going belly-up. =(

:(
 
I wouldn't ask for advice on this subject from me.. I ended up boiling my Beta when I changed the water to a bit above room temp.. Apparently they don't do well with quick temp changes, as it started to twitch madly before eventually going belly-up. =(

Murderer.
 
Don't keep them in a martini glass. Back in college, a guy down the hall from me thought that was enough space. He learned his lesson after the second fish, when he upgraded the living conditions to a vase.
 
Strange, when I had one - I kept it in a regular 50gal aquarium with a bunch of other fish.

They seem to not care about anything but other male bettas.

Or maybe my other fish scared it. Who knows.

( Had Gouramis, angelfish, iridescent sharks, neon tetras, comets, guppies, moors, a bottom feeder, and a couple other kinds fish all in there. No problems with the betta. )

Dunno how long he lived. That was back about 12-14 years ago. I forgot. ;)
 
Umm yea, clean the tank every now and then... which i dont... somehow my fish is still alive, i think he is immortal.
 
Don't keep them in a martini glass. Back in college, a guy down the hall from me thought that was enough space. He learned his lesson after the second fish, when he upgraded the living conditions to a vase.

i lol'd at that
 
I find it entertaining to put a mirror in front of his bowl, and watch him go psycho. . Couple of friends did that with there's while I was there.

As for the breeding thing, good luck ..
One night you've got two, the next day you've got 100. ;)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top